2008 Explorer XLT blower motor resistor procedure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer XLT blower motor resistor procedure

btbed

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any steps on changing a blower motor resistor in a 2008 Explorer xlt? Fan setting 1/2 not working...3/4 working.
Possibly the part number?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wells-vehicle-electronics-blower-motor-resistor-ja1711/10276610-P?navigationPath=L1*14922%7CL2*15019%7CL3*15900

That I think is the blower motor resistor you need it's between 40 and 50 US dollars
Tools needed is a socket and a long extension or multiple short extensions.

To get to where it is at you need to remove everything out of the glove box.
Then press in on the sides so you can get the stops past the dash and the glove box should drop down out of your way.
Look strait back and you should see the connector for the resistor pull it off and get a socket wrench that will fit the two screws holding it in. Fairly easy job.
For reassembly do the reverse I will try and post pictures in the next post.

Thank you so much rcflyer330! I will check back...trying to get part tomorrow. :)

6JKmmPv.jpg

empty out the glove box

iIG6IvV.jpg

when you press in on the sides it should drop down like this

DQSHXN9.jpg

where i am pointing that is the resistor i also forgot about the grey connector to the left. pull the whole grey connector out of the plastic that it is mounted in and then it can be moved out of the way.

zdQvfqz.jpg

the big black box to the right is the 4wd module i think this has to be unscrewed and moved out of the way to get the resistor out. to move the 4wd module just take out the front grey screw and loosen the rear one and you should be able to slide it forward and move it out of the way.

rrFoSCn.jpg

here you can see the big grey connector has been moved and you can see the two screws holding the resistor in remove the connector and the screws and pull it out.

this is on a 2010 but should be similar if not the same on the 2008

edited to fix pictures

Thanks so much rcflyer330! So helpful. Your a good man! :)

Blower resistor

thanks for the great tutorial. I need to do this on my 06. I assume it will be the same. Gary

Looks like something I will need to do soon on my 2006 Eddie Bauer. I knew if the answer was to be found, this is where it would be. I will post when I do the fix.

Looks like something I will need to do soon on my 2006 Eddie Bauer. I knew if the answer was to be found, this is where it would be. I will post when I do the fix.

i agree this website is great for finding how-to stuff. have fun replacing the resistor simple fast and easy to do job.

Very useful info, Thanks rcflyer!!

Can not, for the life of me, find the Blower Resistor on my 2008 Explorer Ltd 4x4. I see the large grey connector - but nothing near it with 4 distinct wires going into it like the picture above. I really appreciate the pics above and the insights of this thread - but if someone has a pic or link to the 2008 model I would appreciate it. I purchased the Repair book for the truck as well but the pics are terrible(dark) for this repair and the instructions seem to be written for folks who already know what they're doing. A bit frustrating to be honest. Thanks all - would appreciate any help.

It should be in the exact same place from 2006 to 2010 explorers. If you can't find it post a picture of the area behind the glove box. Also if you have 4x4 you may need to remove the module on the right side to get to the resistor.

Comparing with pics above the wires going into the resistor should be just left of the silver hex. That looks like the bottom of the Blower Motor....but not the resistor.
zzz.jpg

This pic is panned out a bit - might be better.

zzzz.jpg

R69vNHJ.jpg

what about that connector on the picture?
If not check behind the big grey connector.

edited to fix the picture

Negative - at a total loss. Brought it to Advanced Auto where I bought the part. A guy there who is a mechanic came out for 10 minutes and couldn't find it either. Absolutely no idea. Maybe the Limited Edition is a bit different? Stopped by a local shop and guy said he would look at it - that it might be in the Plenum Chamber? Appreciate the help and effort RCFlyer330. We'll see.

Found the issue. As I have Dual Auto Temp Control I need to replace the Blower Control Module - FOMOCO #6L24-19E624-AA. It is right where all you fine folks have the resistor. This was driving me nuts - but now I know I am not going crazy...or blind.

zzzzz.jpg

Done - easy swap now that I found that right part. Again, many thanks to all on this thread.

I know this thread is a bit old but I now have the same issue on my '06 Ex. First two fan speeds don't work, #2 just quit on me a couple days ago. It would appear i have to replace the resistor as discussed above but none of the pictures are active in this thread. Anybody have these to repost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully I fixed all the pictures
Thank you letting me know.

Back