2008 Explorer XLT Cloth to Leather seat swap out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer XLT Cloth to Leather seat swap out

okok2727

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
I purchased an 08 Explorer XLT with damaged rear 40/60 2nd row seat missing 40 2nd row seat and damaged drivers side seat. I was able to find leather full set of seats. The fronts seem easy enough to swap out and I was able to loosen the bolts without snapping off the heads.
The 2nd row leather is not as easy as they are fold down and up seats as the explorer they came out of had a 3rd row. The fold down leather have a plate that they mount to which mounts to the floor. I have searched and cannot find a diagram of how the plate mounts to the floor. I have found the matching holes but in some cases Ford uses studs & nuts instead of bolts into the floor.
Can someone snap a picture of their leather seat fold up/down seat plate installation so I can make sure I have the right bolts and studs/nut combinations? I really appreciate it as the closest dealer/used car place with an explorer is about an hour away.

If anyone has done this type of instillation/swap out before I would appreciate any tips/tricks/advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Flag.
That is a great diagram and resource for Parts as well. I think I may have figured out that some of the holes in the floor are for bolt studs rather than bolts for the seat plate. Yes I have the easy entry seats. I have a ton of Bolts from the old seats and some from the junkyard but they have failed to give me the studs. They are about an hour and 15 away so its not an easy trek to go view where they are or grab them from them. If push comes to shove your diagram gives me a way to order the whole hardware kit and then I can figure out where the studs go vs the bolts. If anyone has a pic of their seats folded up so I can see which are bolt holes vs stud and nuts that would be great as well.

Really appreciate your time Flag and everyone else who read the post. I am almost there need to rewire the front seat connectors and finish the rear seat installation

I can't see leather being different from cloth since ford would like to save money on hardware.... here are some pictures of my bolts and studs

2007 xlt 60/40 with 3rd row

xMMZIdI.jpg

I think I have every bolt/stud....

Thank you very much! This actually answers a bunch of questions. I am happy to see this since I think on my own I would have answered them differently. Thanks again for your time and in posting these.

I finished the installation and got alot of confidence from the diagrams from and the pictures. Leather seats look great now. I am not sure the front seat wiring is 100% ( Its not a 1 for 1 unfortunately) perfect but its functional. I will look for the leather vs cloth wiring schematics in a few but right now the family will enjoy the leather seats vs the ripped up and in some cases missing dog smelly seats that came with the car

Back