2008 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6 V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6 V8

frank59jc

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
Loud roaring noise coming inside vehicle once you get above 5 mph. sounds like left front wheel. Rotated tires and it made no difference. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Front wheel bearing or bearings (both sides). The roar normally gets louder with increased speed...

Get to 20-25mph and swerve gently back and forth. If the noise gets louder in 1 direction, and softer in the other direction, then your problem is likely the front wheel bearing opposite the direction you turned. EX - If louder when swerving right, it's the left bearing, because that's what is getting loaded.

If the noise really does not change significantly when swerving, then you could have a front differential issue. The front diffs are an "open" non-limited-slip type, that are not too labor intensive for a good mechanic to inspect and rebuild (if necessary). A good mechanic should be able to diagnose without cracking it open, especially if the noise/vibration will occur when on a hoist. Ask how confident they are of their diagnosis before you give the OK.

These noises can be elusive. My mechanic initially thought my problem was in the rear. 1 rear wheel bearing was bad (felt it thru the spring). I had him change it, but it did not solve the root problem. He then thought it was the rear diff, but was not confident enough to do such an expensive job without being more sure. He had me drive it until it got worse. When it did, he was able to diagnose on hoist, and confirmed in the front diff. Cracked it open and found a spun side-gear bearing. Rebuilt front diff and driveshaft, and all is well.

problem with that theory is each bearing has two areas that are bearing surfaces and you have 4 locations that can go bad and each hub can make left-right turn noises depending on inside or outside ware.... jack it up and wiggle the wheel for play this is the best way to determine what is bad .... or you can place it on 4 stands and have someone pretend to drive it while you listen to each wheel.... I work at the place that heat treats the outer rings for SKF hubs Ill take a picture the next time I do the inspection if anyone cares to see what the inside looks like

Back