• Register Today It's free!

2008 Ford Explorer Wrench Symbol

Daguere

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
I have this 2008 Ford Explorer that I purchased about two weeks ago. Yesterday I was driving and the wrench symbol came on and it went into limp mode. I drove it home and didnt start it until this morning when I drove it for a little bit and the wrench symbol came on again. Can anybody tell me the range of problems? Or a simple fix. Or something that I can do that might possibly fix it. I have a obd2 scanner but nothing shows up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there any related information about the "wrench" in the owners manual?

The cheap scanners won't really tell much, you'll need one of the better ones. If you can get it to an autozone or an o'reilly, they'll usually let you pull codes for free in the lot, or you can rent it, take it home, use it, return it, and get your money back.

Do you have any other lights, like Traction control (two lines that look like burnout marks, actually), or an engine light?

What engine?

I have the V8 in my '06...before I changed the plugs and coils, I'd get an engine light, a trac control light, a wrench, and it wouldn't shift right until I'd shut the engine off and restarted it.

Runs great now, save for an unrelated cooling issue..

The cheap scanners won't really tell much, you'll need one of the better ones. If you can get it to an autozone or an o'reilly, they'll usually let you pull codes for free in the lot, or you can rent it, take it home, use it, return it, and get your money back.

Do you have any other lights, like Traction control (two lines that look like burnout marks, actually), or an engine light?

What engine?

I have the V8 in my '06...before I changed the plugs and coils, I'd get an engine light, a trac control light, a wrench, and it wouldn't shift right until I'd shut the engine off and restarted it.

Runs great now, save for an unrelated cooling issue..

Its a 6 cup 4.0. Not getting engine light just a wrench light. And no codes show up on my scanner.

What scan tool are you using? And ThunderbirdSport said cheap scanners usually won't tell you much.

Back