• Register Today It's free!

2008 gas tank issue

ltkrause

Reaction score
City, State
Harvest, AL 35749
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT 4.O
I have a 2008 XLT 6 cylinder. I pulled the tank to replace my fuel pump. After putting in the new pump (lock ring tool is a godsend!!), I was looking the tank over and noticed a white exhaust looking cap on the top on the fill side had a sizable crack in it. It looks like an exhaust vent valve and a hose attaches it to the vapor canister vent valve. I can not find a part number listed anywhere for a 2008 or a 4th gen anywhere. I'm getting really frustrated. I need to replace it because I think that is what's causing my starting issue and rough idle due to the loss of pressure. I circled it in the picture. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

pnvnYbObj

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what it is called but I would ask at your local Ford part department, show him the diagram above. A good parts guy is very helpful with this type of question.

Are you sure it’s removable? Might be looking at a new tank.

The tank shouldn’t really be pressurized.

If you can't find one, maybe you can epoxy it.

If you can't find one, maybe you can epoxy it.
I started looking for tanks just in case and unless I get one from a junk yard, near impossible to find. I picked up some JB Weld Kwikweld to try. I was really hoping to replace it but that may be my only option next time I have an opportunity to work on it.
thanks for the replies!

I can’t imagine a gas tank isn’t available for an 08 Explorer.

I can’t imagine a gas tank isn’t available for an 08 Explorer.
They are very durable plastic tanks - if that gets destroyed the truck is probably scrapped.

Back