2008 Mercury Mountaineer Rear Suspension bolts??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Mercury Mountaineer Rear Suspension bolts???

Reaction score
City, State
Alexander, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 mercury mountaineer
I am replacing the rear knuckles, rear upper and lower toe links, and rear sway bar links (rear alignment is out of whack)
Mechanic said we should probably just replace the bolts because NY winters and salt have destroyed them.
New parts didn't come with bolts, Haynes manual doesn't give specific bolt dimensions and all of my auto parts stores cant pull up the information.
Everyone says take the old ones to hardware store an get grade 8 bolts to match. .. ya cool i totally would. Except for the fact that its my only vehicle and the bolts wont be coming off until its on the lift at the mechanic.
So i was hoping someone might know the bolt sizes or be bale to point me in the right direction???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In a perfect world, yes all bolts would get replaced. In the real world not so much.

I would never replace big factory ford bolts with hardware store bolts, grade 8 or not.

If you so desire to replace them I’d order what you need ahead of time at the dealer. Auto parts store will only have brake caliper bolts. Probably nothing else.

I am replacing the rear knuckles, rear upper and lower toe links, and rear sway bar links (rear alignment is out of whack)
Mechanic said we should probably just replace the bolts because NY winters and salt have destroyed them.
New parts didn't come with bolts, Haynes manual doesn't give specific bolt dimensions and all of my auto parts stores cant pull up the information.
Everyone says take the old ones to hardware store an get grade 8 bolts to match. .. ya cool i totally would. Except for the fact that its my only vehicle and the bolts wont be coming off until its on the lift at the mechanic.
So i was hoping someone might know the bolt sizes or be bale to point me in the right direction???
I think you will have to wait till they come out. Some may indeed be salvageable. If you have a large ACE hardware, they may have substitutes. You may have to get SAE instead of Metric (grade 8 vs metric 10.9).

Most of the bolts are M16. However, the parts catalog doesn't show the lenghts.

Order them from the dealer or off of the ford parts site parts.ford.com

You'll get exactly what you want with the diagrams and they are OEM. Be prepared for some sticker shock though...

Back