2008 Mountaineer stopping while running | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Mountaineer stopping while running

rustydogg

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer V6
Hi everyone new guy here. I could really use some help and everyone's opinion on a perplexing issue that I'm having with my 2008 Mercury Mountaineer with a V6.
I bought this car used and it ran well until recently. The battery was going bad so we replaced it. Everything seemed to be going ok until one day it stopped while we were driving it.
We took it to the mechanic who diagnosed it as a throttle body going bad. We replaced it and it ran fine for two weeks. Then we took a long 3 hour trip which we made with no issues. On the way back it stopped two times.
The motor keeps running, but it will no accelerate anymore. After turning it off and letting it cool for five mins I turned it back on with no issues. We kept going and close to home it stopped again. Lucky for us we were on a back road with almost no traffic and I was going slow to the right lane to pull over quick. This time however I just turned it off and on and we were on our way.
The mechanic is at a loss on what to do with it. We took it to a different one and he scanned it.
Now it gives the following codes:

P0607
P060C

Both codes seem to point to a shorted PCM wiring harness, loose wire or bad PCM.
The car gas gotten worse too. I was taking it around the block since the last time it turned stopped it didn't give any codes. Now it won't even start until it cools off for an hour or two.
From the beginning I've had a suspicion that there was a short somewhere in the wiring.
When the car stops the check engine light comes, the low oil pressure light, the wrench light, low fuel, and one time the tire pressure light came on. They all go away once we turned it off an start it with the exception of the check engine light.
I'm looking for a shop that will deal with this sort of issues but I wan't to get an idea of what's going on before I spend some serious cash on it.
Any help recommendations will be appreciated. .

Any luck with fixing the issue?

Hi everyone new guy here. I could really use some help and everyone's opinion on a perplexing issue that I'm having with my 2008 Mercury Mountaineer with a V6.
I bought this car used and it ran well until recently. The battery was going bad so we replaced it. Everything seemed to be going ok until one day it stopped while we were driving it.
We took it to the mechanic who diagnosed it as a throttle body going bad. We replaced it and it ran fine for two weeks. Then we took a long 3 hour trip which we made with no issues. On the way back it stopped two times.
The motor keeps running, but it will no accelerate anymore. After turning it off and letting it cool for five mins I turned it back on with no issues. We kept going and close to home it stopped again. Lucky for us we were on a back road with almost no traffic and I was going slow to the right lane to pull over quick. This time however I just turned it off and on and we were on our way.
The mechanic is at a loss on what to do with it. We took it to a different one and he scanned it.
Now it gives the following codes:

P0607
P060C

Both codes seem to point to a shorted PCM wiring harness, loose wire or bad PCM.
The car gas gotten worse too. I was taking it around the block since the last time it turned stopped it didn't give any codes. Now it won't even start until it cools off for an hour or two.
From the beginning I've had a suspicion that there was a short somewhere in the wiring.
When the car stops the check engine light comes, the low oil pressure light, the wrench light, low fuel, and one time the tire pressure light came on. They all go away once we turned it off an start it with the exception of the check engine light.
I'm looking for a shop that will deal with this sort of issues but I wan't to get an idea of what's going on before I spend some serious cash on it.
Any help recommendations will be appreciated. .

Hi Rustydogg,

It's been a while but have you solved this problem?
At the moment, I am facing the same problem. Spent a lot of money on it, but still no solution.
Please help.
Thank you in advance.

ps. Moderator, can you find anything on this?

Hi Rustydogg,

It's been a while but have you solved this problem?
At the moment, I am facing the same problem. Spent a lot of money on it, but still no solution.
Please help.
Thank you in advance.

ps. Moderator, can you find anything on this?
You are very unlikely that you will get a reply from rustydogg if you click his profile he has not been seen since December 31 of 2017 and only has one post. You may want to start a new post with your issues and what you have done to try and fix it.

Back