2008 Mountaineer V8 AWD Trans fluid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Mountaineer V8 AWD Trans fluid?

DreadI

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer
I have a 2008 Mountaineer V8 AWD which is about to hit 100,000 miles and I am considering a trans fluid flush which will include dropping the pan, changing the filter & fluid and cleaning the magnet. I get mixed opinions on this from the dealer, local trans shops...etc. the owners manual indicates do this at 150,000 miles, others say every 30k. Also considering transfer case and front and rear differentials. Normal driving and no towing. Recommendations please?

It's up to you I have had my transfer case and diffs done twice already (116k) and wanted the trans done but haven't got to it yet. From reading on this form and Google do not do a trans fluid flush where they use the machine. but a fluid change is fine. The fluid change is basicly dropping the pan, changing the filter, and refilling with new fluid.

i have changed my trans fluid a week ago with no issue, drop the pan, clean it, change the filter, and refill it.
you will still have oil on the torque converter you cant change it but it will get mixed with the new one.

I'm with mad_4u! I changed my trans fluid a month ago. After reading numerous threads on here, I came to the conclusion that you need to change your fluid whenever your EX begins showing signs of "missing" and hesitation while accelerating (around 40-60 mph), which is just what mine was doing. Very easy job. I'm surprised I didn't do it sooner, and I'm very glad I didn't take it to the dealer. Can't speak to the transfer case or the diff, since I've never attempted those.

Back