2008 Sport Trac - Bed Extender Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Sport Trac - Bed Extender Question

Dweezil

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Sport Trac XLT
I've had two 1st Gen Sport Tracs...one of which had a bed extender. I used the heck out of it, and really miss it on my third Sport Trac that I'm driving now...an 08 XLT.

I found one on Craigslist (an hour and a half away) for a 1st Gen ST. Will that fit on a 2008 ST? Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope, dont waste your time, you have to use a gen2 bed extender

I think mine is from a earlier sport trac, I have to spread it a inch to fit on the posts. It works, the plug secures it in so it can't lift off and remove itself.

Looking at these at the dealer and aftermarket I doubt Ford even makes them. I am sure they are farmed out.

2007 models on were two inches wider which explains why the bed extender from older models will not fit.

2007 models on were two inches wider which explains why the bed extender from older models will not fit.
It fits, just not well.

Well, I went ahead and bought the bed extender because it looked like a really close fit...tho, I realized that I don't have any hinge pins on which to place it. I tried taking the hinge pins off of my daughter's 03, but they wouldn't budge. Apparently, the Amazing Hulk must've tightened them down himself.

It looks as though I will be able to make the extender fit. If anything else, I can just fabricate longer hinge pins. I just have to find pins. The only way to obtain them from Ford is to...purchace a new bed extender. :rolleyes: lol

Meh...I'll get there. thanks for the feedback!

One dealer told me I had to buy the extender to get the pins. I went to Cal Worthington Ford and they ordered them for $17. I bet they are all the same thread pattern, check Pep Boys or ebay.

yep, you can buy those pivot points from the dealership, I did at $8 a piece. Ford Part # w707381-s900 (called a striker)

Thanks! ...as soon as the parts department at my local dealership opens, I will call them and give them this part number.

Score. $22 for the striker pins and I'm good to go. The Gen1 Sport Trac bed extender fit perfectly in my 08. The weird thing is that I was told that it wouldn't fit by a member of this forum, and the guy who sold it to me said that a guy in a 2nd gen Sport Trac tried to use it in his truck, and it wouldn't fit. So...I wonder if there is a difference in the width of the ST bed between 07-10 models.

Now, I just need to snag a tonneu cover.

In the next few days, I will be removing the grille and taking the HL assemblies apart to convert from chome to black. So, that should be fun... I'm not too worried about the grille, but I've never taken a headlight assembly apart. From what I've read, it's not that big of a deal. Nothing like jumping in and just doing it to find out for sure!

Score. $22 for the striker pins and I'm good to go. The Gen1 Sport Trac bed extender fit perfectly in my 08. The weird thing is that I was told that it wouldn't fit by a member of this forum, and the guy who sold it to me said that a guy in a 2nd gen Sport Trac tried to use it in his truck, and it wouldn't fit. So...I wonder if there is a difference in the width of the ST bed between 07-10 models.

Congrats! I'm surprised the extender fit on your model, I've always been told it wouldn't fit by other people, glad it did though.

Now, I just need to snag a tonneu cover.

In the next few days, I will be removing the grille and taking the HL assemblies apart to convert from chome to black. So, that should be fun... I'm not too worried about the grille, but I've never taken a headlight assembly apart. From what I've read, it's not that big of a deal. Nothing like jumping in and just doing it to find out for sure!
now your luck has run out...a factory tonneau will not work with the gen 2 when using the gen 1 extender...too high i believe.

^

Dweezil

Joined April 20, 2010
Last seen December 1, 2010

Back