2008 v6 Transmission Hard Shifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 v6 Transmission Hard Shifting

cdness

Reaction score
City, State
I don't care, DEEDEEDEE
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 ranger
So typically I am doing my own vehicle maintenance for many years. I recently picked up this Explorer as a replacement for my rusting out Sable. However after driving it for a few months I am noticing the transmission seems to have some hard shifts... As I have done in the past, I popped the hood to locate the transmission dipstick to check fluid levels and couldn't find one. Upon searching Google, it seems this model doesn't have an accessible dip stick without a lift.

Is that correct that the dipstick isn't really accessible or am I just blind?

My intention was to check the levels and add some Lucas Transmission to make up for some any fluid missing as I don't know the maintenance history on this vehicle. However if I can't find the dip stick, I am at a loss on what to do other than take it in to a shop, which I really don't like doing...

The Explorer is at 155,000 miles. Is there anything you fellow Explorer owners think I should do as a preventative measure due to not knowing the history of the vehicle?

Dont add lucas, these things are very picky about their fluid. Your best bet is to drop the pan, and change the filter. Top it up with 5 quarts of MERCON V only. MERCON V. it is a process requiring a special adapter and a vacuum pump. Next up a band adjustment wouldn't hurt either. Have a search, guides for both processes can be found.

Back