• Register Today It's free!

2008 V8 -- Month of Modification?

mbruffey

Reaction score
City, State
MN, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer
I've read here that v8 engine modifications appearing for years 2009-10 actually began mid-2008 model year. Can we document the month when the changeover occurred? Or do we have any telltale visual indicators? I'm looking at an '08. Thanks, m

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What modifications are you referring to?

I'll have to dig into the threads here again for more specific information.

The only major things I can think of are updated spark plugs, but I'm not sure if they were already updated before the 4th generation or not. I believe the radiator was upgraded as well, but I can tell you that I had one of the "upgraded" radiators leak in the same area (seal between the top tank and radiator).

Overall, I like the truck, but they go through wheel bearings and engine coolant hoses/gaskets/fittings.

Still trying to find the thread that sparked my post. The changes had to do with the spark plugs (perhaps accessibility / ease of replacement), with the coil pack color (of all things!), and perhaps with the connection between issues with the 4.6 and the Triton. I'm very sorry to be so general or scattered, but I'm quite new to this generation of the explorer. I need a new one to replace the 97 EB AWD that I destroyed (argh) last year. Thanks for assistance and patience. I'm looking at an 08 with tow pkg (EB) about 150k miles, mf'd in Feb 2009 per VIN number. Guy's asking $4200 OBO. Recalls seem to have been done (tranny cooler lines, for instance). m

Yes, brown coil "rubbers" mean you have the redesigned head and the spark plugs that go with it.
See it here:

Still trying to find the thread that sparked my post. The changes had to do with the spark plugs (perhaps accessibility / ease of replacement), with the coil pack color (of all things!),

Just so you know, we towed a 3500 lb + all our stuff from Vancouver BC to Anaheim CA. The only issue we had was the heater hose going to the rear heater sprung a leak. Fortunately, it held up fine going up and down the Grapevine using the AC. We have a 2008 Explorer, but I didn't notice the coil packs yet.

Back