2008 vs older 4.0 v6 engine differences | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 vs older 4.0 v6 engine differences

redsoxsrt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer v6
HI all, i just picked up a 2008 eddie bauer 4.0 v6 explorer. i was wondering if there are any places to read up on the differences between the newer v6 vs the olders. at the moment specifically coilpacks and wires. i have been looking to tune the truck up and want to upgrade the coil and wires. evrything i see is for 2006 and older 4.0's i dont want to assume everything is a direct swap and be kicking myself later on. thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not believe there were any significant changes to the V6 drivetrain (4.0L V6 and 5-speed auto though the entire 3rd gen (2002-2005) and 4th gen (2006-2010). Anything for a 2006 tuneup should be fine for a 2008. They are both 4th gen.

On this generation of the 4.0 the coil pack and plugs are very good and no reason to change them unless you have a slight engine misfire and when you do use OEM. To my knowledge the only major change to the engine in this generation was to put in an improved timing chain tensioner assembly.
The best thing that you can do is go with some fine wire double platinum or iridium plugs and that will help smooth out the somewhat rough idle on the waste spark system that the engine has.

thanks for the input. the truck has 162k on the clock im just looking to refresh everything. i pulled a plug to check it and it looked like it was original. the gap on the thing was .087 which is far off from the factory setting. im suprised the truck wasnt running like poop. any decent performance wire reccomendations? I am looking at magnecor wires but any other recomendations?

Back