2008 XLT Service RSC light & chime w/ABS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 XLT Service RSC light & chime w/ABS

First try another mechanic or dealer shop.

Seems like main or modules harness trouble...what sympthoms do you have now?what DTC do you have?what components changed to new,reman or junkyard?

You need all the 4x4, RSC and ABS harness checked for resistance or shortcut. I mean ALL the related harness wires from PCM thru 4x4,ABS and RSC module to Transmission module and wheel sensors.

Harness diagrams avilable on Ford TIS dealer site or hardcopy/pdf workshop purchase

Why the hell they swapped your transmission ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad the issue with your 2009 was found jrshelt10. My 2008 XLT is still running as a daily driver and getting thru the New England weather. I also have a 95 Sport that is still running. Latest issues with 2008 seem to be with wheel hubs. I have replaced 3 of 4 and will be tackling the last right rear very soon. I have a small whirring sound from front CV I think, so will be replcing that as well. These are all pretty much mechanical, but I will be sure to check all the wires from ABS sensors and other. Oh, did do a transmission filter and fluid change and was experiencing shifting problems. This explorer is shifted electronically. In my research I found a tech that was experiencing some interference to the shift selenoids from one of the coilovers (for spark plug). As it turns out, mine was a simple case of using an aftermarket trans filter I have lying around instead of the OEM. Swapped them out and all was good. More proof that the electronics in these vehicles should always be on the list of things to check when any given problem arises.

First try another mechanic or dealer shop.

Seems like main or modules harness trouble...what sympthoms do you have now?what DTC do you have?what components changed to new,reman or junkyard?

You need all the 4x4, RSC and ABS harness checked for resistance or shortcut. I mean ALL the related harness wires from PCM thru 4x4,ABS and RSC module to Transmission module and wheel sensors.

Harness diagrams avilable on Ford TIS dealer site or hardcopy/pdf workshop purchase

Why the hell they swapped your transmission ?
Agreed. Seems like a common practice is to throw a new/rebuilt transmission at these problems. Huge expense and big money maker for shops. I am revisiting this as my 2008 had a similar issue. I started down the road of hubs, CV, ABS sensor, trans filter replacement, but in the ent it was a simple short being caused by some wear/vibration on wires under the K&N FIPK I installed in place of the stock air box. Newbie tech found this by accident when just cleaning/replacing fluids. A litte electrical tape and problem solved. As mentioned and confirmed, wiring in these beasts should not be overlooked and checked before any major part replacements are done.

Please publish any and all

Please publish any information you find on this problem. It must be pretty common because I've had the problem twice now. My mechanic said it was probably a transmission problem so I took it to a transmission shop. They agreed the problem was the transmission. Almost $4000 and two months later the dash lights and the chimes are back again. Is this something that Ford should cover with a recall?

I just got my 2008 Eddie Bauer out of the shop today, after a tranny rebuild. Now the ABS light is on, and RSC flashes and beeps off and on. Couldn't shift into R after getting gas, then it did. Feels like it's skipping/slipping too.

Prior to this, it was skipping harder, and even harder. Eventually it dropped to first and wouldn't shift out, hense why it went to the shop and got a rebuild.

Trying to figure out how all of this goes together.

I just got my 2008 Eddie Bauer out of the shop today, after a tranny rebuild. Now the ABS light is on, and RSC flashes and beeps off and on. Couldn't shift into R after getting gas, then it did. Feels like it's skipping/slipping too.

Prior to this, it was skipping harder, and even harder. Eventually it dropped to first and wouldn't shift out, hense why it went to the shop and got a rebuild.

Trying to figure out how all of this goes together.
Not only would I question the issue being a specific problem with the transmission, after spending time and money having the trans replaced, the shop that did the work should have either tested after their work was done or addressed the issue if/when you report it. As mentioned, owners and mechanics are too quick to throw expensive parts at the problem first, rather than diagnosing the problem and correcting. It still sounds like some type of electrical problem that is in need of some thorough testing/disgnostics.

Not only would I question the issue being a specific problem with the transmission, after spending time and money having the trans replaced, the shop that did the work should have either tested after their work was done or addressed the issue if/when you report it. As mentioned, owners and mechanics are too quick to throw expensive parts at the problem first, rather than diagnosing the problem and correcting. It still sounds like some type of electrical problem that is in need of some thorough testing/disgnostics.
I stopped by today, they said they drove it 30 miles with no issues, but to drop it off and they'll take care of it.

I stopped by today, they said they drove it 30 miles with no issues, but to drop it off and they'll take care of it.
I remember sending mine to Ford dealer after I replaced the ABS sensor. They reinstalled an ABS sensor from their stock, charged me about 3x more for the part and 2 hours of labor. They said it was fixed. About 5 miles down the road I took a right turn and the error/warning lights were back. Went back to dealer and got a refund, complete waste of time. I'm guessing they "test" drove it from the garage to the parking lot. Their time is money, so I question how much test driving the are doing. It is the least they can do after selling you a tranmission you may not have needed.

In any event, I still think an electrical connection/component has an issue. It was completely by accident that the shop down the street found the issue (a new tech noticed when checking fluids and filters).

I remember sending mine to Ford dealer after I replaced the ABS sensor. They reinstalled an ABS sensor from their stock, charged me about 3x more for the part and 2 hours of labor. They said it was fixed. About 5 miles down the road I took a right turn and the error/warning lights were back. Went back to dealer and got a refund, complete waste of time. I'm guessing they "test" drove it from the garage to the parking lot. Their time is money, so I question how much test driving the are doing. It is the least they can do after selling you a tranmission you may not have needed.

In any event, I still think an electrical connection/component has an issue. It was completely by accident that the shop down the street found the issue (a new tech noticed when checking fluids and filters).

Ok, so first things first, they did pull the tranny after rebuilding it, and found that it was bad. Just went back today to pick it up. Was told they went on a long test drive and everything was running great. I start it up, and of course, ABS, Traction Control lights are on, and RSC light is on and flashing. So I'm leaving it there, and they will hopefully have it ready tomorrow. I showed him video I took of when the tranny first went out, and that none of those things were an issue then. How the tech driving it didn't notice that, is beyond me. It is throwing a code saying something is bad with the front drivers side ABS sensor. He put it up on the rack, and it's not disconnected or anything.

Just can't understand what is wrong, or how with a tranny replacement/rebuild, this would now be a problem. As far as I can tell, there isn't anything even close to the tranny that relates to TSC, ABS or RSC. Or is there ?

What DTC do you have now?

Ok, so first things first, they did pull the tranny after rebuilding it, and found that it was bad. Just went back today to pick it up. Was told they went on a long test drive and everything was running great. I start it up, and of course, ABS, Traction Control lights are on, and RSC light is on and flashing. So I'm leaving it there, and they will hopefully have it ready tomorrow. I showed him video I took of when the tranny first went out, and that none of those things were an issue then. How the tech driving it didn't notice that, is beyond me. It is throwing a code saying something is bad with the front drivers side ABS sensor. He put it up on the rack, and it's not disconnected or anything.

Just can't understand what is wrong, or how with a tranny replacement/rebuild, this would now be a problem. As far as I can tell, there isn't anything even close to the tranny that relates to TSC, ABS or RSC. Or is there ?
Except wiring. I am still sticking with a short or bad electrical connection. These are extremely hard to find. I'm thinking a transmission guy may not be the skill that is needed here. Again, my 2008 was showing ABS sensor code, which was chaged out 2x and it did not correct issue. It was only found when a low-level, rookie tech (a hero now) was cleaning out my K&N (probably just to keep him busy between oil changes) and noticed a rubbed wire under the air box. I have heard stories about coil wires and others interfering with the electrical system where the driveability of the vehicle is compromized.

I had all of the same problems and also had the tranny rebuilt. ABS sensor code came up, traction control, and that annoying sound alarm. Next, I replaced the battery. The problem seemed like it went away but returned a few days later. I then ordered an OEM battery/starter cable harness and took it to my mechanic and had him replace it. It's going on a couple of months now and no dash lights and no alarms. Mine is also a 2008 Eddie Bauer.

Back