Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT V8 4WD
Callsign
Ruddy
Brought my 2010 V8 127k mile Explorer to the dealer for transmission flush and check on weeping leak. Answer was the lead frame was leaking into where the wires are and would cause a future short that could make the transmission do some crazy shift and damage itself. Wasn't clear how this makes an external leak. Suppose it could ooze out between the pin connectors. I do know about the bulkhead collar leak.
Ford list price for the part is $1300. Checking the internet this looked way out of line until I read that in 2009-2010 the part is completely integrated with Lead Frame, TCM and solenoid valve body all together. Price for the whole job, $2100.
I do have AUL Powertrain Plus warranty and they will try first to get them to pay.
Scheduler of the service techs is a very good friend of a very good friend of mine, so it would really be strange for them to make this up.

Has anybody ever heard of a Lead Frame leaking internally?

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    999.6 KB · Views: 277

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never had to replace a lead frame/conductor plate because of a leak. Others my have had different experiences. I replace when there is water intrusion or electrical failure has fried the TCM. Most times the only leak is the bulk head connector. Several auto makers use this transmission in different models and all have the same leak at connector. Can fluid leak out of the pins? Absolutely they will leak and wick up the wires causing havoc. There are aftermarket remanufactured unit made by Dorman
Brand Dorman
Part Number:609-024
Also reprogramming is required. My recommendation is replace the known leak part and monitor from there. May very well require a new frame.
Good luck
Brad

Thanks for the reply Brad.
Since that Dorman part is a stand alone lead frame it must just bolt on like other years besides my 90-10 model.
Interesting that for my year official Ford part sites only show the full unit with the solenoids/valve body or a "Remanufactured Automatic Transmission Assembly". Read somthing that all solenoids vary slightly in their response and the TCM is made aware of what those values are so it can compensate. Maybe that is why Ford only sells these as a matched set. My decision will be greatly influenced by AUL paying or not! ;-)

Are you certain your problem isn't the bulkhead connector? It's an O-ring and a recall bulletin was sent on this.

Just to followup for anybody searching.
Got the rig back today and luckily AUL warranty company paid for it minus my $100 deductible and some other small items. They did replace the complete "mechatronics" unit 9L3Z-7A100-C which retails for $1300. With this unit I now have a new TCM, Leadframe solenoids and valve body. Coupled with 10 out of 13 fresh qts of Mercon LV and a new screen filter, the transmission should be good for many more miles!

Back