• Register Today It's free!

2009 common problems / concerns

MemorEsto

Reaction score
City, State
Corry PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
My wife wants to upgrade her 02 to an 09. Anything I should look for or be concerned about when we test drive?

We have almost 170,000 miles on ours. Tranny was rebuilt once. I replaced almost all suspension and steering 2 years ago. She hearing a clunk at takeoff in 4wd. So I assumed a u joint. Turns out its coming from the t case. So it's time to get rid of her.

There is really not much to be concerned with on an '09. Make sure there are no weird vibrations or noises as bearings seem to be a common problem for some. I've had no problems with my bearings and I've got over 91,000 miles. Just test drive it and make sure it seems smooth and solid and get it inspected by a local shop. And visually inspect the undercarriage to make sure it all looks clean. Good luck with it.

My ’09 XLT got 38K miles. I am the second owner. The only issue with the truck was an oil leak; it turned up to be the upper oil pan leak. Fixed under powertrain warranty ($1800 job) but stay in the shop for a week waiting for parts.

I have 41k on my 2009 Limited. I bought it as a demo with 5k on it. the only issues I have had was the shifting problem that everyone has had but that was easily fixed with reprogramming and a small trans leak from one of the lines. They said the O ring didn't seat right. I did just discover last night that one of the instrument cluster bulbs went out and it seems kind of soon but I am going to take it out and change all of the bulbs.

Back