• Register Today It's free!

2009 Explorer - No Taillights

losi246

Reaction score
City, State
Waterford, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Ford Explorer
Trying to troubleshoot, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Noticed no tail lights, replaced fuse and worked fine for a couple weeks. Now, no taillights again, put in new bulb and another new fuse. Fuse blew after a few mins. The brake lights and turn signals did work before, but now my drivers side turn signal isn't working along with the no taillights but my brake lights still work. Any idea's?

Checked the connecters for corrosion and found nothing.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if this gen has common issues back there. Ive only owned mine for about 2 weeks now (06), but this morning I started it up and randomly got a "LR Blinker Out" and the rapid flash when I used the blinker. It was odd to me because just last night it was fine, and I hadnt used it since then, so I didnt understand how it would know/think a bulb was out without even using it.

Bulb was fine, both the front and back blinker worked, but was flashing fast. Turned the truck off and back on and havent had a problem since.

Trouble could be under the rear bumper. Check the trailer light wiring harness for damage or trouble. If everything is in plastic loom as it should be, remove it to inspect. You should have at minimal the flat-4 connector - maybe somebody tried to "improve" on it.

I recently helped a friend who bought his truck from a wiring moron. Cut out about 20 butt connectors, twist & prays, and even a small section of speaker wire.

Need other suggestions

Wiring harness checked, power good, connectors checked and cleaned, all fine. Thought it was the after market Remote Start, disconnected that and still same problem. It blows a fuse almost instantly when you switch the lights on. It's only the tail lights, brake lights work, turn signals work. Any other possibilities ?

TracMarks

Maybe head light switch or turn signal switch? Could one of those cause this?

Back