2009 Ford Explorer Engine Oil Specs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2009 Ford Explorer Engine Oil Specs

nspirzada1346

Reaction score
City, State
Jubail
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009, Ford Explorer 4x4
Dear Experts,

I need urgent and serious opinions regarding engine oil specs for my Ford Explorer 2009 4x4 XLT.

As per Ford explorer manual, I can put SAE 10W30 motor craft oil.

My vehicle has done 86000 KM, and the thing is I am living in a Middle East Gulf Country i.e Saudi Arabia and here mostly through out the seaon temperature remains high especially now in summer 45-50 deg C.

Should I use Castrol Magnetic 10W30 or 10W40 or 0W40 or Should I stick to Motorcraft SAE10W30 oil. I am worried because last night when I changed the oil during first start engine gave a very rough sound first time but with in couple of seconds it became normal then mechanic suggested me to change oil as SAE 10W30 Motorcraft oil is American specs oil which is not suitable to use in gulf countries where temperture is high so I am not sure what to do? Need opinions

Secondly, in how much kilometers I should consider replacing oil?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Normal.

Use an oil that your manual says you can....viscosity and spec.

Change the oil when your computer tells you to. Or if you want to do early at 25% oil life remaining. Anything sooner is a waste. Anything longer is poor judgement.

nspirzada1346, as per my PM, I have moved your thread to this forum from the 2011 - 2015 Explorer forum. The reply from Bill #4 Explorer may not apply. The 5th gen Explorer has an oil life monitor but I don't know if the 2009 does. As far as his statement about using what the Owner's Guide suggests is correct.

Peter

Normal.

Use an oil that your manual says you can....viscosity and spec.

Change the oil when your computer tells you to. Or if you want to do early at 25% oil life remaining. Anything sooner is a waste. Anything longer is poor judgement.

Can you please let me know how and where can I find the viscosity details recommended by my Ford manual I am asking becoz I didn't find it.

Secondly, As I said, Using American spec Motorcraft SAE 10W30 oil in gulf country like mine (45-50 deg C) is recommended or not?

What if I switch to Castrol Magnetic 10W30, will it be fine vs SAE 10W30 motorcraft?

Thirdly, as I mentioned, last night when I got changed my engine oil some strange crancking noisy sound appeared for couple of seconds and got normalizded why would that be?

As per the 2009 manual you should stick to 5w30 oil. I myself use syntethic blend motorcraft 5w-30. Can you get that oil there?

I assume you have a manual, just in case you don´t verify the page 393

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/09expog1s.pdf

Edit: I may have missed it, confirm is a 4.0 V6. The 4.6 V8 uses 5w20 oil.

Can you please let me know how and where can I find the viscosity details recommended by my Ford manual I am asking becoz I didn't find it.

Secondly, As I said, Using American spec Motorcraft SAE 10W30 oil in gulf country like mine (45-50 deg C) is recommended or not?

What if I switch to Castrol Magnetic 10W30, will it be fine vs SAE 10W30 motorcraft?

Thirdly, as I mentioned, last night when I got changed my engine oil some strange crancking noisy sound appeared for couple of seconds and got normalizded why would that be?

PEOPLE ! He's in Saudi Arabia.The temps there are brutal,unlike here in US.He doesn't need 0W,or 5W.The OP does not experience winter weather.I would agree with 10W-30.

PEOPLE ! He's in Saudi Arabia.The temps there are brutal,unlike here in US.He doesn't need 0W,or 5W.The OP does not experience winter weather.I would agree with 10W-30.

As long as it meets WSS-M2C-929-A,or updated,oil specs.

im in Hawaii and use 5w30 mobil 1 synthetic.

im in Hawaii and use 5w30 mobil 1 synthetic.

Hawaii doesn't even come close,to the kind of temps,experienced in Saudi Arabia.The SW desert areas of US,at times,may experience similar temps.

I know that, thanks for sharing. Lol! .....New Yorkers

For extreme temperature and load situations. Its best to use a full Synthetic Oil. Regular dino oil can create a sludge build up especially and high temp and long change intervals. Oil and a quality oil filter like Wix filter or OEM one will extend the engine life. Trying to push the change interval excessively is poor judgement with oil being the cheapest maintenance you can do. So what if you change it two more times a year than you might otherwise. The SAE spec recommend is the minimum guideline. In hot countries 10W40 synthetic would be a pretty good bet for protection. Don't waste money on blends. You don't know how much of each type of oil is in the just. You could buy one liter of synthetic and add it to the dino and call it a blend in your engine. LOL At least you know what you put in. Same as 3 liters of synthetic and 1 of dino etc.

Either use one or the other. But as you're concerned I'd go pure synthetic when you feel like changing it with a name brand company.

Back