2009 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2009 Ford Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YouTube is a wealth of information on any number of vehicle repairs. Try there for a good "how-to" video.

If you're asking, it's probably a job best left to the pros. It's a big job, and if done wrong, you could destroy the engine. If you attempt it, make sure you follow the torque specs EXACTLY!

I changed out the cracked head on this motor's little cousin, the 2.9L V6 in my '89 Bronco II. After it was all done I wished I would have just pulled the motor out first!

I did the same on my BroncoII. Took off the heads to change a bad lifter and the cam. At that point, I just took out the short block and had it rebuilt.

A head gasket is not a small task. You may be up for it. I 2nd checking on youtube. Even if you do not find the same vehicle, watch a video of a similar repair to get an idea. Check out ALLDATADIY.com for technical repair manuals by vehicle. It cost $29 per year but will be worth it for this repair.

How do you change a head gasket on a 2009 Ford Explorer

Richard -

Not to sound like an a..hole :),but....
Head gasket replacement on 4.0 is not as easy as on other motors. Would you do just one side ? Which one ?
You will need to redo the timing and I am not an expert on the 4.0s but you may need to pull the engine out if doing the passenger side.
Hope others will chime in, but besides the torqe specs, new head bolts, you would also need to clean and resurface ??? the heads and block.

Back