2009 st 4.6 manifold

Hickyface

Reaction score
City, State
il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 St 4x4
Hello everyone,
Need to replace exhuast manifolds & complete exhaust from cat bck on my wife's 09 st . 4.6 4x4
was looking to do some mods. in phases
need recommendation .
been told to use stock manifolds..
looking for tab fuel eco. and slight rumble from exhuast..
with up grading intake on next phase.

ANY WORD OF ADVISE

What do you want the end results to be regarding performance. There isn't much that can be done regarding exhaust mods for 4th gen Explorers. I don't think anyone here has installed headers on a 4.6L 3V engine. No one makes headers specifically for this application. As for exhaust rumble, check out the muffler options for the 2005-2010 Mustang GTs. They have the same engine that is used in the 4th gen Explorers and will sound about the same with the same muffler.

If I were looking do some mods to mine it would be exhaust from the manifolds back, a performance intake before the throttle body followed up with a dyno tune. This should net you about 25-30 reliable horsepower with decent torque gains. Getting more than this will get expensive quickly.

What do you want the end results to be regarding performance. There isn't much that can be done regarding exhaust mods for 4th gen Explorers. I don't think anyone here has installed headers on a 4.6L 3V engine. No one makes headers specifically for this application. As for exhaust rumble, check out the muffler options for the 2005-2010 Mustang GTs. They have the same engine that is used in the 4th gen Explorers and will sound about the same with the same muffler.

If I were looking do some mods to mine it would be exhaust from the manifolds back, a performance intake before the throttle body followed up with a dyno tune. This should net you about 25-30 reliable horsepower with decent torque gains. Getting more than this will get expensive quickly.
would like to add SC .
to finish off project

thx for feed bck.
ultimately would like to add SC next year. (fingers crossed)
Can u recommend a tuner & intake set up?
that a SC can be added later

If your ultimate goal is to add a supercharger then just save up, buy a complete supercharger kit and install it. Don't waste money on piecemealing it because you will spend much more money with tunes etc. Installing a kit will work right from the start and be far more reliable. Don't install a centrifugal supercharger. They make their power in the upper RPM range. A 5k lb. SUV needs low/mid range torque. A Roots or twin screw intercooled blower is the better choice and of these two the twin screw is better. Also, a typical twin screw blower kit makes all the power that a basically stock bottom end 4.6L 3V engine should be making. There is no need to add other mods to the kit to make more power as this will only decrease reliability of the drive train. I say the above speaking from experience of modding cars. These days the supercharger kits are very complete and work quite well with a high degree of reliability.

Back