2010 EB strut replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 EB strut replacement

My 2006 has 120,000 and I can definately feel the loss of ride/handling on the highway. Just enough float that I don't feel as comfortable at 70 mph as it used to. Also minor bumps at speed seem to require more attention to steering to stay in lane.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@ 125K, to correct rough and bouncy ride/handling, had all struts replaced w/monroes at local Pep Boys for $750. Estimate from Ford dealer was $875 for fronts only...............go figure!! Much better handling now.

Not a lot of details on Unity's struts. I found their site not prices and I gather you're in the USA, no location in you profile signature. @$247 it has to be 2 struts but you don't say how many.

they may not be a viable choice for Canadian order. Seems like their looking for distributors as no prices and minimal info.

Give yourself smd our per strut if eveything come apart with no issues. Just did mine a few weeks ago with Monrie Quick Struts and the ride is drastically improvement. The truck does sit a bit higher now but nothing major and will probabaly settle down over the next few 1000 miles. Remember, stuts are not just for handling, but braking is improved because its not nose diving like worn struts.

So what made you replace them ? Leaking , ride quality ?
I am at 244 k miles on original ones and see no issues with them yet.
Shocks are a wear item even if there's no external evidence of failure I'd guarantee at 244k yours are completely blown.

I am researching that as well.

The whole set from Monroe would be $ 570 for 4
Unity set of 4 is about $ 244
Detroit Axle has them as well for $ 340 per set of 4.

I wonder what makes Monroe that much expensive and if it's worth it.

Art -

How are they holding up after few months ?

Are those Unity's All-in-Ones? I looked at the site but did not find a lot of info or prices. I expect one has to call..

I replaced mine with Monroe's in July of 2015. I've had no issues with them at all. Ride quality is still good. I don't recall paying that much for all four. There may have been a rebate at the time through Rockauto. I think the only alternative at that time was Gabriel's through Rockauto.
1Aauto has pairs on sale now for $169 but no info on the brand that I can find on their site - configured for my Explorer.

EddyCA -

if you paid less, you got a great deal.

I can't find cheaper than 540 for a set for Monroes.

Tripplec -

Yes, they are all entire assemblies, no spring compressor needed. Just unbolt and bolt back in (if all goes well :))

Did you guys use their premium part like 171-125 or the Econo-Matic 181-125 that are cheaper ?

Edited: Had the part numbers wrong.

I pulled my PO and I purchased and installed Gabriels on all four corners not the Monroes as I had thought.
Rear Gabriel part number is G57095 $127.79 each
Front Gabriel part number is G57096 $133.96 each
I'm pretty sure I bought the Gabriel's due to a rebate offer vs. the Monroe's at that time.

Wow, they are not cheap, $ 600 for the whole package. I really wonder how bad the other brands can be for 1/2 price.

Agreed. At that time I was looking at Monroes, Gabriel's, and Bilstiens. Bilstiens are around $289 each just for a shock/strut on shox.com. I'm happy with the Gabriel's. The Bilstiens were way too much $$$ based on my repair/upgrade wish list.

I didn't think Bilstein made shocks for the 4th gen Explorer.

Back