2010 Explorer 4.0 v6 towing capacity? 5205lb? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer 4.0 v6 towing capacity? 5205lb?

Hi all,

We are looking to get a new family vehicle and the wife has fallen in love with a clean Explorer at a dealership.

The issue I have currently is this is going to be replacing our 98 Dodge Ram and I have used that truck for a lot of truck duties. Hauling material to build a shed, hauling several cars with a car trailer, hauling a 3500lb popup camping as well as going hunting.

I was going to simply get a trailer to pull behind the Exp to take over truck duties, but the one we are looking at has a class II hitch that is welded to the frame? So therefore it has a 3500lb limit.

My questions is, looking at a factory brochure there is a 4x4 4.0 v6 that has a class III/IV options listed with a 5205lb towing capacity. Other than the class III/IV hitch he brochure goes on to state that the V6 with the class III/IV comes with 3.73 gears, non-limited slip rear end, and engine oil cooler.

That all sounds like important things to get the load moving and keeping the engine alive, nothing on added braking or stopping related stuff. So how bad would it be to pull a slightly over the 3500lb limit trailer with an installed class III/IV hitch? Has anyone done that at all?

I don't expect to be able to pull a car trailer any more, but being able to pull the popup loaded would be nice, as well as a nice utility trailer to haul materials for when I build my shop.

Any help on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually the towing package includes wiring for a brake controller, in addition to the items you listed. If you are determined to tow 3500+ lbs with the explorer your wife is in love with I'd plan on installing the heavier class III hitch, transmission cooler and a brake controller.

Good luck. I pull the same weight with my sport trac with the towing package on the V6. Tows nice until you hit a head wind. Then she is a different story. With the higher gear, you would be lucky to hit 80kmph. I usually tow around 100, but she lets me know. This is also in the flat lands of saskatchewan. Where its so flat you can watch your dog run away for 3 days.

Coming from a pickup, with various towing duties, you will HATE a V6 Explorer with the 3.55 gearing. Tell the wife sorry, but you will find her something better. Then, start searching for an '09 or '10 Explorer or Mounty with the V8 and tow package.

The V6, 5speed, with tow package (3.73 gears) might do what you need it to do, but the V8, 6-speed is a much better drivetrain for what you want to do with it. And believe it or not, the V8 will get better gas mileage, because even with the HD towing package, it keeps the 3.55 gearing (due to the super low 1st gear in the 6-speed).

Thanks for the insight everyone, We passed on the Explorer due to the thermostat housing leaking, which is a common issue and easy to fix, however the dealer techs pressured washed the engine and then could not find the leak. I offered to show them the pictures on my phone as well as let them borrow my cooling system pressure tester. . .

It went to auction.

I did end up with a ford though. 2009 Expedition EL 4x4 with tow package. :thumbsup:

WOW! Go big, or go home, right?!?! Enjoy. My dad has an '07 EL 4x2 and love the extra room. He tows a camper that's over 6000 lbs loaded with no problems.

Ya, after looking at several vehicles we decided to get a land yacht. I had been keeping tabs on all of the usual places for a good 3 months looking for a decent newer v8 explorer, but everyrhing that came up was not really what we wanted.

Its a second vehicle for us, and rarely gets driven, so we decided to go big. We purchased a big trailer and had combined weight just over 10k at the dump, this thing tows like a champ!

So far its been great and we are really enjoying it!

Back