2010 explorer cranks too long on 1st cold start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 explorer cranks too long on 1st cold start

fixit117tpd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 ford explorer
I have a 2010 ford explorer that recently started to crank too long on the first cold start in the morning. After that, it cranks a little longer than it used to, but not near as long as the first start. Also, after it starts the first time, airbag light is on. If I shut down and re-start, light goes out. Could the airbag light and the starting issue be related? Also, I should mention that the vehicle has just been tuned, plugs, airfilter, fuel filter. Didn't improve after the tune-up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2010 ford explorer that recently started to crank too long on the first cold start in the morning. After that, it cranks a little longer than it used to, but not near as long as the first start. Also, after it starts the first time, airbag light is on. If I shut down and re-start, light goes out. Could the airbag light and the starting issue be related? Also, I should mention that the vehicle has just been tuned, plugs, airfilter, fuel filter. Didn't improve after the tune-up.

Welcome to the forum, fixit117tpd! It might be time to get this into the hands of your local Ford Dealership; I'm sure they'd be happy to help. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Welcome to the forum, fixit117tpd! It might be time to get this into the hands of your local Ford Dealership; I'm sure they'd be happy to help. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

70,000 miles

When was the last time the battery was checked? If it is still the original then that is most likely the culprit.

2010 ford explorer cranks too long on cold start

Battery was checked when the problem started. Showed good on load test. But, replaced it with a new one today anyway, as it WAS the original. I'll let you know if it starts correctly in the AM.

I continue to get the airbag light on extreme cold morning only (below -30C), but goes out on the way to work. I even get the light with a brand new battery on those extreme cold mornings (I have replaced the battery 3 times in the past 4 years). I believe its something like a low voltage on start-up that causes the light to come on.

Re: Airbag light

Thanks, PEAR0119------My airbag light has been staying on at about -5 or -6 C.
It's not that cold today, so I'm expecting it not to stay on. The cold crank problem is another matter. The colder it is, the longer it cranks. I'll let you know how that works out with the new battery. Also, I've suspected for awhile that I got a bad load of gas somewhere, (water, contaminated, etc., so I put a good shot of ethyl alcohol in and I'm running it down to near empty. Then I'll refill with premium and see if it goes away. I'll let you know. Wish me luck, as it's driving me nuts, as there are no codes to be found.

The airbag light now never comes on when its warmer than -20C when the battery is new. When the batteries were on their way out the airbag light would come on even at 0C a few months later it was completely done and wouldn't take a charge.

airbag light and cold crank issue

This morning, vehicle started perfectly, airbag light went out immediately. This is after a quart of "White Lightning," a new battery, and running a good distance yesterday. However, it wasn't that bitterly cold this morning, only about 0 Deg. C. I expect that the problem is solved. I'll re-post if it comes back when it gets colder. Thanks again for your input.

i also have a 2010 sport trac, the air baglight stays on als o when cold, if i shut down and restart it stays out, same as the speedomter is very hard to read in 30 below cel. i believe it on account of the very cold.

did you know you can scan airbag codes just like check engine codes?

Back