• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer LED swap

Memawstaxi

Reaction score
City, State
Piqua, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi! New here, this is my first post. (Yay me!!! Lol) So now, on to my question...

I bought my wife a 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition and she is interested in swapping the lights to LED. So far I’ve managed to get the headlights swapped, but the brake light/turn signal bulbs are causing me an obvious issue: they flash too fast. Now I know there are two options to fix this: replace the flasher unit or install resisters on each bulb. However, I can not find any flasher relays on this truck. Anywhere. After some research on this site, I have found that the turn signals are controlled by a body control module, also possibly called an SJB. I just want to confirm if this is actually true as I was able to purchase a flasher unit for this particular truck. Is it possible I bought a part that doesn’t exist? I wouldn’t be surprised.
So pretty much just looking for some confirmation on this information and any further advise. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And the conclusion on every other led turn signal thread is the same as you just asked. They are controlled by the SJB (smart junction box) you have to install resistors there is no relay that can be changed.

Ok do take this as it can be done i dont know for sure but it is a computer and could probally be reprogrammed to never hyperflash so you could run leds without installing resistors. The only problems are having the right equipment and knowing what to change without totally messing up the computer. For a diyer resistors are a better option. I was going to do leds all around but i dont like needing to add resister to make it work. So I stayed with the stock bulbs for turn and brake lights (except high mount light its all led) the rest are led.

Hi! New here, this is my first post. (Yay me!!! Lol) So now, on to my question...

I bought my wife a 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition and she is interested in swapping the lights to LED. So far I’ve managed to get the headlights swapped, but the brake light/turn signal bulbs are causing me an obvious issue: they flash too fast. Now I know there are two options to fix this: replace the flasher unit or install resisters on each bulb. However, I can not find any flasher relays on this truck. Anywhere. After some research on this site, I have found that the turn signals are controlled by a body control module, also possibly called an SJB. I just want to confirm if this is actually true as I was able to purchase a flasher unit for this particular truck. Is it possible I bought a part that doesn’t exist? I wouldn’t be surprised.
So pretty much just looking for some confirmation on this information and any further advise. Thanks in advance.
You're definitely not going crazy. I tried to go LED a few months back and also got the hyper flashing issue. I got all excited when I saw your post, thinking that maybe changing the flasher unit would solve the problem. So I decided to re-investigate. The AutoZone website tells me the Novita Turn Signal Flasher EP27 "FIts your vehicle" but of course, no mention of this part in the manual or any electrical diagrams. I'm thinking the manufacturer is falsely advertising that the part fits 2010 Explorers, and that's why multiple auto part stores are showing "it fits your vehicle".

I tried swapping front turn signal bulbs for LED ones because the yellow coating was peeling on the conventional bulbs. The LEDs would never light up. I bought two new OEM bulbs and called it a day. The LED fog lights and headlights worked fine but every once and a while I get a headlight error on cluster display. I just hit the "Reset" button and it goes away.

Leds are one way if they dont work when plugged in remove and turn them 180 degrees plug back in.

I tried swapping front turn signal bulbs for LED ones because the yellow coating was peeling on the conventional bulbs. The LEDs would never light up. I bought two new OEM bulbs and called it a day. The LED fog lights and headlights worked fine but every once and a while I get a headlight error on cluster display. I just hit the "Reset" button and it goes away.
I am also a new member and just did the conversion of all the lights to LED save for the signal lights and brake lights. They were next on the agenda but reading on here about the issues I think I will keep the incandescent bulbs. I did have the same issue with the canbus decoder and got a set from Sealight after telling them about the issue. I installed these and thought all was good but still get intermittant error messages. The real fun starts when you try to change the interior lights as you might think they are simple but can be time consuming. Just my 2CW. 2010 Ford Explorer Limited.

I am also a new member and just did the conversion of all the lights to LED save for the signal lights and brake lights. They were next on the agenda but reading on here about the issues I think I will keep the incandescent bulbs. I did have the same issue with the canbus decoder and got a set from Sealight after telling them about the issue. I installed these and thought all was good but still get intermittant error messages. The real fun starts when you try to change the interior lights as you might think they are simple but can be time consuming. Just my 2CW. 2010 Ford Explorer Limited.
I decided to stop with the headlights, fog lights and reverse lights. These were the ones I cared about the most from a functional aspect. I might change the outside mirror courtesy lights at some point. The reason I was looking to replace the front turn signal bulbs with LEDs is the yellow coating on the OEM bulbs was peeling off. Otherwise, I would have let them be.

The interior lights are fairly easy to replace. I used some "bulbs" from amazon, they replace the 194, though the two rear dome lights use a different bulb. Those two I just swapped with an off the shelf bulb from wally world. Did the same to my Expy, along with LED puddle lamps, heads, fogs, and reverse. I also put new lenses in the Explorer as the stockers were oxidized to hell and even though I polished them two different times, they still kept clouding back up in a few months.

Ironically enough, after I upgraded the lighting on the Explorer (and then subsequently bought my Expy) I barely drive the Explorer anymore..

Its the same (but different as build file)SJB like the mercury montaineer one with OEM tail light so

Probably,you will need to disable rear turn lamp outage control in SJB as build chart.

And also there is no any flasher relay outside of SJB inner circuits

Back