2010 Explorer wheel bearing replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer wheel bearing replacement

2010trip

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Limited
I have a 2010 Explorer 4WD V8. At 58,000 I replaced the dealer replaced the front left hub due to noise and vibration. About 70,000 miles the symptoms returned. In the last 10,000 miles I have replaced again the front left hub and right hub for the first time. Also the right rear is showing signs of needing to be replaced. Are multiple wheel bearing failures common on this model? Is there a cause or are these wheel bearing failures unrelated? We are normal drivers with mostly highway miles. Thanks for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a question when you replaced the Hubs did you use a torque wrench to torque the axle nut cause if not if over tightened it will wear the bearings out fast also if you replace with Autozone Pepboys etc wheel bearing expect to replace them on a regular basis they are junk the best ones to get are oem or motorcraft but if you don't want to pay a pretty penny you could replace one 3-4 times with autozones price and still be cheaper than oem so it depends if you want to keep doing it and maybe come out cheaper or do it once every 100k miles. I have replaced my wheel bearing in my Grand Prix 3 times same one in 70k miles spand because I refuse to pay 300 for a wheel bearing when Autozones is 60 but that's me

To generalize the answer wheel bearings go about 100k and aftermarket ones don't ever reach that far.

Tom

And to clarify are you saying 70k after they replaced the wheel bearing or only 20k on new bearing if so that's not good I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer used an aftermarket one from a local store or the tech didn't properly torque the axle nut cause 20k is way to little on a bearing that's oem

The dealer did all the replacements with Ford parts and the bearing only lasted 20K. It was within the 24 month parts warrantee, but once Ford replaces a part the warrantee only lasts 12 months.

Yeah that's rediculous my guess is the tech never torqued the axle nut and just impacted it on tight like I said if it's not torqued right the bearing will wear out super fast. You can't just tighten it it has a spec cause the bearing uses the axle to keep it together.

Tom

Back