2010 Ford Explorer 4x4 worth buying | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Ford Explorer 4x4 worth buying

armie

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 explorer limted V8 2x4
hey guys so basically I have a 2006 Ford Explorer 2wd 4.0 with 125k miles and I've owned it for around a decade and ever since I bought it had 105k miles and it has been causing issues. I found a 2010 Ford Explorer 4x4 with 80k miles and I was wondering if I should get it it's a clean title and is there anything I should take into consideration like any problems to look for when checking it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's a v6, then no, they have tons of transmission problems and don't have much power, stick with a v8, I have a 4wd and mine doesn't have any issues with it, the only real problem is it's a 4a system so it automatically kicks in 4hi when you get tire slip, kinda jarring and jerks into 4wd but it doesn't hurt anything.

If it's a v6, then no, they have tons of transmission problems and don't have much power, stick with a v8, I have a 4wd and mine doesn't have any issues with it, the only real problem is it's a 4a system so it automatically kicks in 4hi when you get tire slip, kinda jarring and jerks into 4wd but it doesn't hurt anything.
thank you man for the reply in my area where I live in it is impossible to find a V8 explorer 4x4 with less then 100k miles so idk man this explorer is the only one I found thats a 2010 with 80k miles 4x4 so I guess I should wait more till another explorer goes up for sale that is a V8 4x4 which is going to be very rare or I can low ball on this explorer that's a v6 idk man

thank you man for the reply in my area where I live in it is impossible to find a V8 explorer 4x4 with less then 100k miles so idk man this explorer is the only one I found thats a 2010 with 80k miles 4x4 so I guess I should wait more till another explorer goes up for sale that is a V8 4x4 which is going to be very rare or I can low ball on this explorer that's a v6 idk man
owning my 06 with that crappy 5r55s transmission had gotten me to the point where I took it to get rebuilt around 125k miles so I just rebuilt it but it has like 12 other codes so I gave up on the thing so I'm assuming that this 2010 5r55s with 80k miles will mostly last me until it has 120k miles besides that is there any differences from a 5r55s with 2wd vs 4x4

These two are in CA, but may be far from you, but....

They don't say specifically if they are a 4.6, but they do say it's a 6 speed transmission which was used for the 4.6L

Autotrader - page unavailable

Autotrader - page unavailable

Yeah, I figure we were lucky to get the 4.6. In fact there were two of them close by to us in the month we were looking.

hey guys so basically I have a 2006 Ford Explorer 2wd 4.0 with 125k miles and I've owned it for around a decade and ever since I bought it had 105k miles and it has been causing issues. I found a 2010 Ford Explorer 4x4 with 80k miles and I was wondering if I should get it it's a clean title and is there anything I should take into consideration like any problems to look for when checking it out.

As others have suggested, I would only do the change with a V8 4th gen Explorer/Mountaineer. There are two reasons for doing this. First is the V8s have the 6R60 (2006-2008 models) or the 6R80 (2009-2010 models) and are far more reliable than the ones used with the V6 models from 2002 to 2010. Second is the V8s are much less expensive to replace the timing chains and guides as compared to the V6s. Since you only put 20k miles on your current Explorer in 10 years a V8 4th gen would probably last you for many, many decades with good maintenance. All the 3rd and 4th gen Explorers/Mountaineers I have owned have been V8s and none of them have ever given me an engine issue beyond the occasional coil pack going bad (which is an easy, inexpensive repair).

You can't condemn all Explorers with the 4.0l engines, My 2006 Explorer EB with
the 4.0L engine now at 190,000. miles with the original engine and trans has been one of the most reliable suv that I have owned. However, I do religiously keep up with maintenance. I have only used amsoil products and engine only gets amsoil 15/40 hd diesel oil since new. Engine /trans runs like new, and no chain rattle.

You can't condemn all Explorers with the 4.0l engines, My 2006 Explorer EB with
the 4.0L engine now at 190,000. miles with the original engine and trans has been one of the most reliable suv that I have owned. However, I do religiously keep up with maintenance. I have only used amsoil products and engine only gets amsoil 15/40 hd diesel oil since new. Engine /trans runs like new, and no chain rattle.

I am not condemning them. I am merely pointing out that they have a major issue in that when the timing chains/guides go bad it is a seriously expensive repair if one is paying a mechanic to do the work. This is well documented in these forums. At least with the V8's it occurs less often and if it does the repair cost is much more reasonable. Many times a timing chain issue with a 4.0L sends it to the scrap yard to be parted out because the repair cost is not justifiable. Especially so when considering the transmission these engines are paired with. Also, not many owners are going to use Amsoil products, or even synthetic oil, due to their cost so your situation is far from the norm. Most people who buy 4.0L Explorers/Mountaineers have no idea that there will ultimately be a very expensive repairs coming their way from this engine/transmission combo if they put enough miles on it and/or do poor maintenance.

Run forscan on it and make sure it comes up CLEAN with no codes in all modules (except for trivial things like low voltage).
You should have no P1000 codes. Sometime cars can pass state inspection (one monitor allowed) and have codes come out after more drive cycles.

I bought mine at 179k miles on it, so honestly getting one with a little over 100k or so isnt a bad idea, I'm at 191k now, I need to do a timing set for it but that's normal around this mileage. It's been rock solid other than a thermostat going bad and my fan clutch occasionally flipping ****.

Purchased my 2010 Mountaineer 4.0 with 58,000 miles 2 years ago. Now have a whopping 72,000 miles. No issues service every 3000 miles and only driven in the summer. Darn near mint. Still smells new. Do I expect issues in the future yep. Hopefully not until 150,000-200-000

I am a former owner of a 2010 4x4 4.0 V6. I would definitely consider getting a V8, has more power and almost same mpgs. In my country I doubt there are any V8s Explorers, so I had to settle for the V6. As for the transmission I did a fluid flush at 50k miles. I suggest to anyone do the same, only use Mercon V. That´s the main problem of the transmission, too long service intervals. You can also add a cooler, that would be insurance. So if you are ok with the power and mpgs of the V6, first make sure the motor and transmission are in good shape, then do a trans flush with mercon V and add a cooler. I also added a red bottle of Lubeguard.

Every time I read this forum it reinforces my theory that my 2009 Exp 4.0 SOHC V6 with 5r55 was built on a Wednesday. (if you work in the auto industry or know someone who does then you might appreciate that tongue-n-cheek comment). This Exp just rolled 285,700K on the way home from work today.

The biggest problem I've experienced with this vehicle is front wheel bearings and batteries. I've probably replaced a dozen front bearings and just replaced one of the rears for the first time at 280K. Probably on it's 4th or 5th interstate battery, just got a new one at Costco.

Engine is mostly original except for regularly maintained plugs, wires, belts and pulleys. Just replaced for the first time the starter at 284K, the timing chain tensioners at 277K, alternator at 247K and a set of O2 sensors at 188K.

I replace the fuel filter at about 30k, the tranny fluid and screen at about 100K and wix oil filter and mobil 1 at about 5k.

Only tranny problems I've experienced is a leaky torque converter seal (replaced during a fluid change) and a shifter mechanism breakage.

Because the miles are 90% highway, it's only on it's 3rd set of pads and rotors.

Replaced the suspension at 233K with a KYB kit.

I'm now seeing some weeping from the rear diff axle seals but not serious enough to see any spots on the floor or to get too excited about changing yet.

Other than the rocker panels rusting (I live in upper midwest with plenty of wintertime road salt) this is still a solid and reliable vehicle which I drive daily to the tune of about 800 - 1K per week in my sales territory.

I'm not drag racing this buggy but I do drive the piss out of it and sometimes wish it had more power for the times I had to tow stuff. Other than towing, it's got enough to get me and the family around town and cruise easily at 80-85 MPH on the interstate.

Based on my personal experience with this particular 2009 for Explorer I would not hesitate to get another one, especially with the mileage you indicated.

Good luck.

Every time I read this forum it reinforces my theory that my 2009 Exp 4.0 SOHC V6 with 5r55 was built on a Wednesday. (if you work in the auto industry or know someone who does then you might appreciate that tongue-n-cheek comment). This Exp just rolled 285,700K on the way home from work today.

The biggest problem I've experienced with this vehicle is front wheel bearings and batteries. I've probably replaced a dozen front bearings and just replaced one of the rears for the first time at 280K. Probably on it's 4th or 5th interstate battery, just got a new one at Costco.

Engine is mostly original except for regularly maintained plugs, wires, belts and pulleys. Just replaced for the first time the starter at 284K, the timing chain tensioners at 277K, alternator at 247K and a set of O2 sensors at 188K.

I replace the fuel filter at about 30k, the tranny fluid and screen at about 100K and wix oil filter and mobil 1 at about 5k.

Only tranny problems I've experienced is a leaky torque converter seal (replaced during a fluid change) and a shifter mechanism breakage.

Because the miles are 90% highway, it's only on it's 3rd set of pads and rotors.

Replaced the suspension at 233K with a KYB kit.

I'm now seeing some weeping from the rear diff axle seals but not serious enough to see any spots on the floor or to get too excited about changing yet.

Other than the rocker panels rusting (I live in upper midwest with plenty of wintertime road salt) this is still a solid and reliable vehicle which I drive daily to the tune of about 800 - 1K per week in my sales territory.

I'm not drag racing this buggy but I do drive the piss out of it and sometimes wish it had more power for the times I had to tow stuff. Other than towing, it's got enough to get me and the family around town and cruise easily at 80-85 MPH on the interstate.

Based on my personal experience with this particular 2009 for Explorer I would not hesitate to get another one, especially with the mileage you indicated.

Good luck.
No engine or transmission problems outstanding. Good maintenance on your part. I am real **** on maintaining my 2010 Mountaineer. Oil and filter every 3,000. Trans fluid change with filter and one bottle lube guard every 15,000 miles.Fluids are cheap. Major repairs even if you do the repairs yourself are not.

Bought my 2010 V8 three years ago with 84K miles. Now I have 104K. No problems. I searched for a long time to find a V8 and paid quite a premium for the car. There just aren't many of them around here. Didn't want the six; the V8 gets better gas mileage and the V6 had the timing chain arrangement I didn't like.

Back