• Register Today It's free!

2010 front hubs

bigbw01

Reaction score
City, State
Marana, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Sport trac
I am noticing a whirring noise in my 2010 2WD sport trac.. seems to get louder when I turn right, which might indicate a bad front left hub.. I pulled the tire off to look at it and there is no side to side movement in the wheel.. What kind of confused me is there is no spindle.. You can look right through the hub.. Appears that it is held on by the three bolts on the back plate.. Can somebody confirm this for me..

thanks in advance..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the 4wd and the 2wd use a different hub assembly? If they are the same it would only be 3 bolts as the center one that holds the CV shaft wouldn't be there. Neither would the CV shaft leaving the hole you are seeing.

appears to be no difference in hubs for 4wd vs 2wd..

sounds like a bad wheel bearing just had one of mine go driver side at about 47000 miles

sounds like a bad wheel bearing just had one of mine go driver side at about 47000 miles

I ordered a replacement hub, should not be too tough to install.. 2 bolts for the brake caliper and 3 bolts for the hub itself.. Of course it all depends on how easy the bolts are to break loose..

They are easy. Its that center one that's a pig. being a 2wd you don't have to worry about it. If you soak the bolts with penetrating fluid, and the part where the assembly presses the night before in it should just pop out the next day.

replaced the hub this morning.. soaking the bolts the night before was not an option, but they all broke lose pretty easy.. Getting the brake rotor off the hub was the toughest part.. took a lot of penetrating oil and some wacks with a hammer before it broke loose.. getting the hub off the backing plate was pretty simple.. Overall it was easier then I thought it would be and the noise is gone..

I'm hearing the same noise coming from my 2010 with 115,000km... Looks like I'm in for the same repair.

Back