2010 Intermittent Squealing at low speeds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Intermittent Squealing at low speeds

mindless2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT, 10 XLT, 10XLT
Hello All,

I've been having an intermittent squealing sound happening with my vehicle. It is a 2010 XLT with 49k miles on it. The sound seems to happen at low speeds, and it changes as the speed of the vehicle changes, making me think it is something wheel-related, which is worrisome. I have not been able to figure out how to consistently replicate the problem, it just comes and goes. I just had it at the dealer for an oil change, but since it wasn't making that sound then nothing showed up.

I did manage to catch 2 video clips of it on my phone, and hopefully you can hear it too. Any ideas?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4dq6cDNf24&feature=youtu.be

http://youtu.be/7FwgmlclHO8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello All,

I've been having an intermittent squealing sound happening with my vehicle. It is a 2010 XLT with 49k miles on it. The sound seems to happen at low speeds, and it changes as the speed of the vehicle changes, making me think it is something wheel-related, which is worrisome. I have not been able to figure out how to consistently replicate the problem, it just comes and goes. I just had it at the dealer for an oil change, but since it wasn't making that sound then nothing showed up...

Hi mindless2,

I can assist by looping in your regional customer service manager. To get the ball rolling, send me a private message (PM) with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get this on their radar.

Crystal

What happens when you lightly apply the brakes while it's squealing? Can you pinpoint which wheel it's coming from? My guess would be the brake pad against the rotor. Possibly the caliper is sticking. It has to slide freely in the anchor plate.

I can't quite pinpoint it. The most difficult part is the problem seems to come and go, but I have noticed it at least 4 distinct times over the past 2 months. In one of the videos I'm not going fast and slow down, the squealing happens until I stop. Would there be any visual sign of a stuck caliper?

First of all, if it is the brakes squealing, it's nothing to worry about. You could verify that's the problem by applying the brake when it's squealing. If applying the brake slightly makes the sound change, or go away, that's it. The pads are always brushing the rotor. You could try swapping the inside and outside pads, or replace them altogether. While you're at it, lube the caliper pins, so it moves freely.

If that turns out not to be the problem... YOU'RE DOOMED! :eek:

Back