2010 Mountaineer noise coming from Driver Front Wheel under braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Mountaineer noise coming from Driver Front Wheel under braking

Marauder11

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ford Explorer Sport
So, I recently replaced some parts on my wife's Mountie including front brake discs, pads and wheel hubs. All parts were replaced with Motorcraft OEM parts. I'm noticing that there is some speed-sensitive noise and pulsation coming from the driver's front when the brake is moderately to heavily pressed. The noise is louder when the brakes/tires have had a chance to warm up. I was thinking that I need to replace the tires as we're getting close to the wear bars but it seems that the noise is only in one spot when the tire rotates.

When the pads were replaced, I inspected and lubed the caliper slide pins and aside from some general wear, they looked to be in good shape. Could my new rotors have come from the factory pre-warped? What else should I be looking at? Thanks for looking!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you saying you did replace the rotors? Did you have this issue before you did the work?

Yes. Rotors and Pads were replaced along with the wheel hubs. I had a small shudder before the parts were replaced but I attributed that to worn/warped rotors after 103K miles on the original set. There was some meat left on the pads and the rotors looked to be in good shape but the pads were going to need replacing in the near future.

I was going to say rust on the hub face and rotors did not sit well but I see new hubs ....
Can you put it up on 4 jack stands and listen to it while in 4x4 with RSC off ?

This Mountie is 2WD only. I can hear and feel the issue only under moderate to heavy braking. Accelerating or constant speed does not produce the issue.

Marauder when I did the front brakes on my 2010 Mountaineer I found that the mounting brackets did not allow the caliper to move freely back and forth. Ordered all new from 1A auto. They had the updated brackets. If yours are bad you would have noticed 1 pad (inside pad) worn a lot more then the outboard pad.

Thanks Littleant. I saved all the hardware and I'll check the condition of the old pads when I get home. If there's anything else that I would need to look at, please let me know and thanks to all who have provided input.

I was thinking that I also should replace the caliper slide pins as I had saw some wear but if they come already mounted to the bracket, then it's one-and-done.

On a side note, when I replaced the rear brakes on my 98 Mustang GT, I had the pins freeze up on me due to lack of lubrication and so I had to replace the bracket along with the pads so I've learned my lesson when it comes to inspecting these pins.

Marauder Possible ABS ? If this issue started after the repairs then I would go back and check everything you changed.

Since this happens only when the brakes are applied, it's likely not the hubs, nor tires. If all calipers components (pads and housing) seemed to be sliding freely when installed, I would tend to think the front left rotor has an issue (hard spot, warped?). Swap the rotors right-to-left, and see if the issue moves to the right side:
-If issue goes away, be happy.
-If the issue moves to the right, take that rotor back for a replacement.
-If the issue remains on the left, the rotors are not the problem.

If rotors are confirmed OK, I would then consider the front left housing, likely not sliding freely.

How carefully did you torque the lugs? Perhaps re-torque roughly to 70 then meticulously to 100 (?--I think it was 100 on my old 97) in the star pattern. That kind of thing used to make a huge difference on mine. Just sayin'. m

Back