2010 Mountaineer upgrade to gps navigation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Mountaineer upgrade to gps navigation

VORTMAX_99

Reaction score
City, State
Gorham ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport
Our 2010 Mountaineer didn't come with the navigation/dvd headunit.
It does have Sync. From what I've been able to gather searching
through the forums, it looks like the 2010 Explorer as well as the
2009/2010 Mounty had a newer headunit. Don't know if its
it a functional or appearence difference. Also looks like you have
to change the antenna from the "satellite radio only" one to the
combination "satellite/gps" antenna.

Has anyone else attempted this upgrade and can you tell me
whatelse whas required and if its "plug and play" or if you have
to go down to the dealer and have it reprogrammed?

Thanks,
Geo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our Mountaineer came with NAV, but I did the NAV upgrade to a Mustang, so maybe this will help. Dealers, as a rule, cannot program the NAV unit and usually send them out to a radio service somewhere. I shipped mine to a company in Chicago that advertised the service, and it worked out fine. If you can get a NAV that was pulled from a Mountaineer or Explorer you won't need to reprogram it, but otherwise expect to spend $100 or so to do that.

If you find a pulled head unit, note that the late models (with the hard drive instead of the 6-disk changer) require an outboard amp to drive the speakers, so watch for that.

The NAV antenna doesn't have to be on the roof (unlike SAT radio), so if there are separate inputs on the radio, you can get an inexpensive GPS antenna and mount it under the dash facing up through the windshield. Note, you can NOT do this if you have the electrically heated windshield, though, as that will block the GPS signals.

=Vic=

Thanks for the info Vic. We do have the 6CD changer, so
it looks like I won't have to worry about the outboard amp
to drive the speakers. Looks like I'll start searching for
a headunit and see what I can come up with. Thanks
again for the reply.

Geo

Nav update

Thanks for the info Vic. We do have the 6CD changer, so
it looks like I won't have to worry about the outboard amp
to drive the speakers. Looks like I'll start searching for
a headunit and see what I can come up with. Thanks
again for the reply.

Geo
I would like to upgrade. Let me know what unit you find at a good price

Thanks

You may want to contact this guy below, he's been selling on Ebay for quite some time. The new Nav unit will require programming which he can do and additional parts which he supplies with the kit. You don't need the Nav radio with the hard drive for your vehicle. You can go that route, but it's more expensive. He will also program the new Nav unit to work with SYNC. This is the setup I'm probably going to go with so I can retain SYNC, and it's sold by him.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250970584682?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661 .

I've messaged him in the past and he's very helpful and knows what he's doing since he's been doing this for a long time. I know the listing says 04-08, but it will work on the 09-10. He told me it would be fine for the 09 which is what I have. Nothing changed on the 2010.

Yes it can be done!

while this may not be helpful for the originator of this thread, if you are looking here for an answer on retro-fitting a Nav unit to your 2010 Explorer that originally did not come with one, the answer is YES, it is possible!

I have be logging my activities to do this for my (new to me) 2010 Explorer under the Gen 4 Modified section. See my post titled "The (Navigation) Dilemma"

:D

Back