2010 no start issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 no start issue

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Sport Trac
Recently had the neutral safety switched replaced on my 2010 Sport Trac (as well as some internal transmission parts. Picked the truck up from the service shop, and it started for a few days. Since then, it won't start when the key is turned to start. You can hear a relay click, but that's it, no solenoid or nothing. However, if I put the truck to run, and I put a jumper between the small wire terminal on the starter and the big battery terminal on the starter, it starts right up.

Obviously this rules out the starter (as I just replaced it with a brand new one, just to be sure). My basic understanding of the start circuit goes as follows, ignition switch to NSS, then to the starter. Obviously it's somewhere in there, just don't really have any idea on where to start the search. Ideas? I've already swapped out relays and fuses, to no help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

system might think the the transmission is not in park or neutral. was the linkage played around with?
is immo light flashing in dash? (key symbol I think)

system might think the the transmission is not in park or neutral. was the linkage played around with?
is immo light flashing in dash? (key symbol I think)

The lights on the dash are all normal, the security light is normal. They replaced the shift cable and the sensor. I suppose it's possible it's misadjusted, but the truck shifts fine, and to each selected range once it's running.

fuse 11 (30A) in engine compartment (left side of box - when looking at it from driver front tire, first row, third one down from engine towards fender)
starter relay is 56B (top right of fuse box looking at it the same way) may be able to swap it with the one just under it - if there

if it's not those two, it will probably be cable and sensor mis-alignment - a dealer fix unless your mechanic has the factory alignment procedure and tools. (there is mechanical and electrical stuff that need to be set right - may sort of explain why it shifts)

fuse 11 (30A) in engine compartment (left side of box - when looking at it from driver front tire, first row, third one down from engine towards fender)
starter relay is 56B (top right of fuse box looking at it the same way) may be able to swap it with the one just under it - if there

if it's not those two, it will probably be cable and sensor mis-alignment - a dealer fix unless your mechanic has the factory alignment procedure and tools. (there is mechanical and electrical stuff that need to be set right - may sort of explain why it shifts)

Exactly what it was. Misalignment on the sensor. The shop worked on it and it seems to be fixed, for now. We will see what it's doing in a few weeks from now.

Back