2010 Sport Trac - drives a bit rough these days | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Sport Trac - drives a bit rough these days

funstuie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac 2010
Hi All,

I got a 2010 Sport Trac about a year ago in tip top condition and since getting it I have put around 12k miles on the clock (its my daily driver plus kid hauler). It's never missed a beat. I have had the oil changed and tune up done every 5k miles.

So every now and then I noticed it sounding a bit rough but it would normally pass but last week my wife had to drive it for a couple of days while her car was in for a service. And the whole time she complained about it being too loud, clunky and stiff to drive. I ignored her but something started to niggle at me and I started believing something was up. So I took it in for an oil change and asked the mechanic to give it a good check out. He recommended the air filter be changed but other than that it was fine.

Now when I am driving around or to work in the morning it feels a bit rough, like the shocks are not working as well and there is a bit of vibration through the pedal.

Has my wife ruined my truck (she did get a scratch along the bed on the drivers side!!)? Am I being paranoid? Is there something I should get the mechanic to take a close look at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Edit - just to add it currently has just over 90k on the clock.

I'm having the same issues pal. I have a 2008 ST Limited V8. Bought it used two years ago when it had 85,000 miles on her. We've put about 20,000 miles on her since then. It used to have a nice quiet smooth ride but starting about 6 months ago it just drives really rough and loud. I service the vehicle regularly every 3,000 miles and don't drive it hard at all. Don't get me wrong, this has been a great vehicle, really versatile and fun to own but a few things have gone wrong all at one. The issue mentioned above is the most annoying since it is my daily driver. Also, one of my tire sensor faults has failed causing a dash light that won't go away, a hissing sound from under the passenger side dash that occurs when I accelerate etc.

Anyone on here know for sure if tire sensors are covered under Ford's extended warranty plan? I can't get a straight answer when I call Ford. They want me to bring it in and charge me $96 to diagnose it.

Anyway, hope you get it figured out my man.

I also have a 2010 STA with 125k km and have been noticing recent "roughness" to it. I personally feel it in the pedal when accelerating sometimes, along with some unwanted "road noise". I've purchased new Mercon LV tranny fluid and filter and will also be changing the transfer case fluid at the same time.

Fluids are usually a good place to start.

rocket10

when you find out would you let me know, my 2010 rides like a lumber wagon, very noisey when i go over ruts or cuts in the pavement, clunking frt and rear, im sure its the rubber bushings in the suspension somewhere, have not found what part tho, its worse in 30 below <canada>,c

if its 4x4 check the transfer case fluid mine was acting the same about a year ago and i changed the transfer case fluid first i put on some mercon 5 as suggested by a local shop but still was making noise and driving rough found out i needed motorcraft Ford Fluid XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid, i took the car for a 50mile trip so the oil would blend in and it went away no more noise or roughness hope it helps

Update on above mentioned issue.

So I decided to take my 08 ST Limited 4x4 in to Ford. The two main issues were a major transfer case leak and the rear wheel bearings needed replacement. Both issues were covered under my Ford extended warranty. She now drives quiet and smooth again like new. I couldn't be happier with the end result. I left with a bill just over $100. The technician said both issues are common with these trucks around 100,000 miles.

Just an fyi for those having similar issues.

I recently changed all of my hub bearings, front and rear. It cancelled out a lot of the howling or road noise I was hearing. The front is easy to change if anyone is somewhat mechanically inclined. The rear takes more effort and you need a press. It saved me about $1000 doing it myself.

Back