2010 V6 transmission re-program question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 V6 transmission re-program question

67FordGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 explorer ltd
In a nutshell: am I doing any harm to my tranny by disconnecting the battery every 8 months or so to force the factory A/T program to be reset???

Back in 2016 I bought a 2010 Limited edition V6 with just 59,000 miles. It is a great vehicle. No real problems except for the 2-3 shift becoming firmer and firmer over time. Then I disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and it fixes the problem. The tranny shifts smoothly for several months but eventually goes back to a firm 2-3 shift. Is the 8 month reset harmful? Am I correct in my assumption that the battery disconnect resets the tranny program? If not, what exactly happens when the battery is disconnected?

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to do same thing. In addition, once you disconnect the pos and neg cables, connect them together for 10 min or so, that will clear more staff stored in capacitors.

I had to do same thing. In addition, once you disconnect the pos and neg cables, connect them together for 10 min or so, that will clear more staff stored in capacitors.
You mean tie the positive and neg connectors together?

Clearing the shift adapt tables will return the ECM to a preset factory program that controls the transmission, the ECM then adjusts the program to fine tune the timing and quality of the shifts over time, it can compensate for wear and change to suit driving habits. These programs are not perfect and undergo updates and changes just like everything else these days. I would swing by the dealer and have them check to see if there is any updates for your vehicle. I dont think you are doing any harm by disconnecting the battery, it's just more of a hassle, some scanners can do this without a disconnect.

Do you know what transmission is in your vehicle? it could be a 6R60, 5R55S.

Yes, or jump the positive cable to any bolt on the body to discharge any voltage remaining.

It’s a V6 so it’s got to be a 5R55.
Thanks for the info. With this car being 8 years old, I doubt Ford has kept up with new tranny software updates do you? Maybe I could call my local dealer but somehow I doubt it.

Checked for updates on my 06 V6, less than a year ago. Dealer did not show any on it.
The battery reset has helped with the shifting so far.

Back