2010 XLT Electrical Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 XLT Electrical Issues

Bsobs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2010 XLT
Hi All - hoping to get some clarification as I've become confused after searching/reading a number of threads on tangentially related issues.

I currently own a 2010 XLT with ~112k mi and as of last week I've been having intermittent electrical issues that seem to only last 5-30 seconds at a time and either recur repeatedly over the course of a trip (every minute or two) or don't occur at all (part of the confusion). When the issue occurs it's the same symptoms each time, which include:
  • The odometer along with the warning lights above it go dark (I had low tire pressure when the issue started - that light was on and going off when the issue occured). While the odometer and warning lights go off, the speedometer, oil gauge, temp gauge, and RPM gauge all continue to work properly through the 5-30 second duration of the issue.
  • It seems like there's some sort of system reset occuring because when the issue stops occuring the 'warning - low tire pressure' text comes up on the screen and beeps (that stopped once I filled the tires).
  • The windows lose power
  • The radio loses power
I got a diagnostic run at autozone and no issues came back from that. Through searching the forums it seemed like it could be a loose ignition switch, but those threads seem to mention the speedometer/fuel/etc gauges losing power as well, while mine do not.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

check for a lose ground connection. Faulty relays come to mind as well.

The ignition cylinders are notorious for causing all kinds of odd failures like this. Wouldn't surprise me if yours is shot, especially if you have a heavy key chain.

Thanks for the advice all. Pretty frustrated right now - dropped it off at a dealer yesterday morning and they're now returning it to me unfixed as they can't figure out what's wrong.

Back