2011-2015 Cooled Seats Ineffective | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011-2015 Cooled Seats Ineffective

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012, Explorer Limited
I’ve done the search, can’t find anything.

The cooled seats in my 2012 limited make noise but WOW there’s nothing coming out of the perforations.

I replaced the filter, and checked the zip tied duct. What am I missing? They used to freeze me out. when my wife was pregnant with our second she said they were great. Now, nothing.

is there a mod? Or something I’m missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this on both front seats? Can you tell if the "noise" is the fan running?

Peter

Oh yeah, both the fans are running.
Anyone else have this problem? I’m at 127K and trying to stretch to 150!

Oh yeah, both the fans are running.
Anyone else have this problem? I’m at 127K and trying to stretch to 150!
I have the same issue with my 2014 Sport. Makes a ton of noise, but nothing coming out. My F-150 cooled seats work great, and you can feel them on every setting.

There's probably some air duct valve that's stuck or broken mechanically, or the servo motor that moves it, itself has failed. No idea where they are located, I mean probably in the dash, or possibly the seats themselves if it's possible that they didn't both fail simultaneously.

When I was troubleshooting my heated seat problem a year ago, I started by swapping the module under the seat that includes the fan and heating element. Turned out that the duct was cheap **** plastic and was split in half at a seam, though replacement didn't resolve my heated seat problem. That said, I'd be willing to bet your duct is split in half, too.

When I was troubleshooting my heated seat problem a year ago, I started by swapping the module under the seat that includes the fan and heating element. Turned out that the duct was cheap **** plastic and was split in half at a seam, though replacement didn't resolve my heated seat problem. That said, I'd be willing to bet your duct is split in half, too.
I will give it a look. I have not done any troubleshooting yet. Did you need to remove the seat to repair the split duct or can I access it within the vehicle?

I will give it a look. I have not done any troubleshooting yet. Did you need to remove the seat to repair the split duct or can I access it within the vehicle?
I just moved the seat forward all the way and made sure the rear was lifted up all the way (so it's tilted forward). Made for pretty easy access, but still a pain in the butt.

If that duct has to flex when the seat moves, did you have multiple drivers (or passengers if it was passenger side seat) that would frequently adjust the seat forward or back? If so then I'd imagine that could fatigue it a lot faster, especially if adjusted when very cold.

If that duct has to flex when the seat moves, did you have multiple drivers (or passengers if it was passenger side seat) that would frequently adjust the seat forward or back? If so then I'd imagine that could fatigue it a lot faster, especially if adjusted when very cold.
Just my wife would occasionally take my vehicle. In the ~7 years I've owned my Explorer, she has driven it maybe 20-25 times. I also don't have the easy access crap turned on.

Hmm, does my '14 XLT have this duct? I have automatic climate control and heated, power adjust, but not programmable seats. On heated I didn't notice any air coming up through them but I use the heated seat feature very seldom, like when it was new I made sure it worked and can't remember using it since then, lol.

Hmm, does my '14 XLT have this duct? I have automatic climate control and heated, but not programmable seats. On heated I don't really notice any air coming up through them but I use the heated seat feature very seldom, like when it was new I made sure it worked and can't remember using it since then, lol.
If you have heated and cooled seats, yes. Otherwise the ones without cooled seats just use an element to heat the seat.

Back