2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here is my experience with the Power Steering Assist Fault:
2011 Explorer XLT with 55,000 miles.
Previously no problems with steering, but went in for the initial recall 14S06 in August 2014.
March of 2015, experience the fault 3 times (loss of steering ability). Fortunately each time was while I was in my garage attempting to back out. The first time it happened, I ended up shutting off the car. Started it back up, & as everyone else here has experienced, it seemed to be fine.
After the 2nd & 3rd time this happened (same experience each time - in my garage/driveway), I decided to do some research on it. I came here & found out that this fault can & does happen to the car while driving.
Immediately made an appointment & brought it to the Ford Dealer. Brought the car over last night.
Got a call from the dealer today saying they do not want me to drive it & that they will be replacing the rack at a cost to me of $1500.00. I'm thankful to have read all the posts in this thread, so this did not come as a shock. I spoke of the recall & if this expense should be included & they gave me a phone number to call to speak to someone at Ford.
I told them to go ahead & do the work, since either way, it needs to be done & I need my car. Part is on order & will most likely arrive tomorrow.

I called the 800 phone number & spoke to someone who gave me a case # & said they were going to escalate the case & that I should expect a call from the service manager at the dealer who will let me know if they will pay or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I called the 800 phone number & spoke to someone who gave me a case # & said they were going to escalate the case & that I should expect a call from the service manager at the dealer who will let me know if they will pay or not.

Hi Lucille,

I want to check out your case and see how I can help. Send me a PM with your case number and I'll do some investigating. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hi Lucille,

I want to check out your case and see how I can help. Send me a PM with your case number and I'll do some investigating. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thank you, Crystal. I just sent you a PM.

Just an update on my vehicle and situation - Capital Ford (Raleigh,NC) did the right thing by me and covered the Power Steering Failure Issue under Recall 14S06 at no cost. I did end up calling and talking to Renee at Ford CS before dropping vehicle off to clarify a couple of things and cover my rear as much as possible as I strongly felt it was something Ford should take care of, she said the original Power Steering Recall had a 12 month / 12k warranty (which I was still under - barely). Don't know how much that came into play. They were able to duplicate the problem while test driving and produce fault boxes / codes.

So props to my Svc. Advisor (Austin) for sticking with me through this the whole time and the Svc. Director, (Dean Myslinski) who worked with Ford CS to make sure things were handled in the right manner.

Thank you to Crystal, peterk9 and all the others who have shared info and helped on this problem as well.

...Thank you to Crystal, peterk9 and all the others who have shared info and helped on this problem as well.

I'm so glad to see that things worked out, OldSchoolDropout. Thanks for sharing your results with us. If you need any help in the future, you know where to find me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Well after my last post there was a rain then freezing temperatures and then snow. My wife on her way home from work at 8am said the steering became tough and starting going into the on coming lane and yanked the steering wheel to the right to avoid a collision and side swiped a telephone pole. Now the body shop has put it all back together but reports the power steering is not working....$8500 in damage and awd had failed but fixed by a dealer and then a few days later the collision and power steering found not to work...speaks for its self

NHTSA investigating Ford's solution to May 2014 power steering recall

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/06/ford-escape-mercury-mariner-steering-recall-nhtsa-investigation/http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/06/ford-escape-mercury-mariner-steering-recall-nhtsa-investigation/

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating a complaint that Ford's response to a May 2014 recall of the 2008 to 2011 Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner doesn't quite go far enough to solve a troubling power-steering problem.

Roughly a year ago, Ford recalled nearly a million vehicles after it was found that a problem with the torque sensor's communication with the power steering control module could cut steering assistance for drivers. While manual steering would still be available, the problem was enough to ask drivers to report in to have the PSCM inspected, and if necessary, replaced (along with the torque sensor, or in dramatic cases, the entire steering column).

That would only happen, though, if trouble codes were being thrown. If there weren't any problems, dealers were told to simply update the PSCM's software so that any issues between it and the torque sensor would simply throw a visual and audio warning – power steering would still be maintained.

The petitioner claimed that following the recall work, he still experienced a problem with the torque sensor. According to NHTSA, a claim was made that Ford didn't go far enough in its solution to the problem, and that "the software update itself may in fact cause further issues with the affected vehicle's power steering, causing it to fail, and ultimately requiring replacement of the torque sensor or entire steering column."

The petition was filed in early February and is now officially being looked into by NHTSA.

^^^^ has nothing to do with the Explorer.

Not at all for the Explorer, but I thought its a very telling internal look that might help make sense of what is happening with newer power steering issues in Fords lineup.

I wonder if they use the same system (on the road so cant compare part numbers). This is what I hope happens with the Explorer though.. this is why we need everyone to keep logging complaints.

Software is not the fix and Ford needs to step up and fix this ****.

I could be wrong, but I think the “old” hydraulic power steering systems were less of a problem. Maybe you had to occasionally check the fluid level and the pump belt tension but that was it. These “EPAS” units are a P.I.T.A. (!)

Well the dealer ship and my insurance company agree that my power steering rack and steering column needs to be replaced,,,its been a month and I have not had my Explorer back.....now after getting back soon I need to replace my rear brakes because a dealer reported that my rear brakes are less than 3mm thick,,,,,28,200 miles on it and the pads need to be replaced because corrosion on the cage that holds the caliper causes the brakes to drag and wear to less than 3mm at 28,000 miles, ford replacement pads come with anti seize compound to prevent the corrosion from returning and instructions on how to clean up the bracket and apply the anti seize to prevent reoccournance now into repairs of over $10,000

brakes

When Ford reprogramed my module for the terrain management error they told me about the brakes. New pads installed by Ford would cost $129 I opted to go with new rotors and pads to be installed by myself for about $150 I would also address the rust problem on the bracket that causes the brakes to drag and wear out, You get free pads but have to pay to have them installed. My E only has 28,200 miles on her. Parts are sitting here on the shelf waiting to get my E back.

I think that should qualify you for the free brake pad replacement program;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412591

Peter

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this program is one that requires the customer to BUY the brake pads first. I do not believe this covers the original set. So when it is time for Brake pads, if you have a Ford dealer do it, the pads are then covered for life.

Pads are the cheapest part to replace so it is not really that great of a deal if you can do it yourself.. and if you can't, I wouldn't pay Ford their labor rate for a brake job.

I plan on upgrading to the Sport brakes when I need to have mine replaced. Should have almost 100k before I need to replace them.

The labor cost quoted was $129. Advance. Auto was $52 platium brakes with lifetime replacement if they ever wear out rotors $52 each two year warranty. If the brakes were dragging then the rotors are more than likely warped. I will stick to doing the brakes myself

The problem I am having is that I have owned a 2011 Explorer Limited and so far the sun roof motor failed and was repaired by the selling dealership and it cost me $100 for them to fix it again. AWD failed and Ford dealership reprogrammed the ABS module, told me I needed a new battery ( I replaced it), rear brake were less than 3mm thick, only to find out rust causes the rear brakes to drag and the brakes need to be replaced and during a snow storm the steering became stiff and avoided at head on and side swiped a telephone pole, body work done but Ford reports that the steering rack and steering column needs to be replaced, so far 10,500 in repairs. 28,200 miles, Really makes you want to buy another Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Called Schultz Ford in Nanuet New York that is replacing my steering rack and steering Colum to find out how my E was doing and when the work would be done,,,,,,,Service manager was rather nasty and said I should really be dealing (talking to the body shop) and not the dealership, Seems the door handle was causing a lock unlock problem and was waiting for a new handle to arrive and be installed.......I just cannot understand why a service manager would get arrogant and nasty,,,I just want my E back and in proper working order...almost six weeks and still not fixed

Back