2011-2105 Explorers/Reliability with engines? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011-2105 Explorers/Reliability with engines?

AndoAv8R

Reaction score
City, State
Loveland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
My dad is starting consider what he wants to replace his current 2007 Grand Cherokee with.

One of the main vehicles he is considering is a 2011-2015 Explorer, likely cant afford anything with under 60,000 to 70,000 miles.

Ive been doing research for him and Im concerned with 3.5L Duratec/Ecoboost, and having the water pump back behind with the timing chain.

I'm just curious from folks who have/have had them what their experiences were? If you have any major issues what we're cost/costs?

FYI

Yes, the internal water pump can definitely be a concern. It's a bit of a 'crap-shoot' if you ask me. There are many that haven't had any issues and others that have. If it is really a deal-breaker, you could always take out a Ford ESP Warranty. There is a thread in the 'Stickies' at the beginning of this 'Discussion' forum.

Peter

FYI

Yes, the internal water pump can definitely be a concern. It's a bit of a 'crap-shoot' if you ask me. There are many that haven't had any issues and others that have. If it is really a deal-breaker, you could always take out a Ford ESP Warranty. There is a thread in the 'Stickies' at the beginning of this 'Discussion' forum.

Peter
Seems like the 3.5L N/A is great other then the water pump. The ecoboost 3.5 is fun, but like most hot rod type engines you need to pay to play. The turbo 4 is probably working pretty hard to move this large vehicle and I would be wary. Honestly, I love my 3.5l n/a and other then the water pump issue ( my was covered under cpo warranty @87K) it has been a great, reliable suv. I would suggest a powertrain warranty to cover the water pump.

Back