2011 3.5L misfire cylinder 2 and 6 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 3.5L misfire cylinder 2 and 6

Dealer road tested ok. First drive home I kick it down to pass first couple times it was ok. Third time cel blinking. Still misfiring. Seems like an adjustment was made as before it would blink everytime I kicked it down now it is seldom but still there. Paperwork say "reset cam"

View attachment 164001

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don’t think your dealer knows what they are doing.
After $8000 you deserve better.
I would ask to talk to general manager.

I don’t think your dealer knows what they are doing.
After $8000 you deserve better.
I would ask to talk to general manager.
I've come to the conclusion that this isn't going to get fixed at this dealer. Their tech shouldve kept it overnight maybe did some freeway driving. Coming back into shop with repeat problem like this that I can recreate with wot in a few minutes tells all. Wasting my time with them. In the mean time their sales team is calling me wanting to get me a new explorer lol. Um not happening. Do any dealers have dynos or something to recreate while monitoring real time? This one does not have anything like that

Dealer now says injectors. Refuses to admit that if its injectors the coil packs were unnecessary. I'm asking for my old parts this time. And if they were able to swap recreate other cylinder. Wouldn't ohm check also show problem. Seems strange two go bad all sudden still wondering if it's the signal to the injector and not the injector...timing. anyways pick up tomorrow will update

Does not sound right and pretty sad they claim the coil packs were bad yet the problem still exists. Maybe I am wrong but this does not sound like an injector issue. I agree that it sounds more like ignition / spark /cam sensor related.

They replaced fuel injectors said it was fixed. I test drove and same condition. Took video. Back in shop. Gave me a loaner and they seemed committed in wanting to get it fixed

After replacing two injectors and still experiencing the problem they replaced all the plugs again. The problem seems resolved however it had new plugs in it as a new motor and I had tried all new aftermarkets and so this would be the third set. If they did something else I'll never know but so far so good

Dealer road tested ok. First drive home I kick it down to pass first couple times it was ok. Third time cel blinking. Still misfiring. Seems like an adjustment was made as before it would blink everytime I kicked it down now it is seldom but still there. Paperwork say "reset cam"

View attachment 164001
I am experiencing the exact same symptoms under the same conditions on my 2016 explorer with less then 28K miles. I have ruled out plugs and coils. The photo of the invoice you uploaded is no longer there, do you mind reposting it?

I am experiencing the exact same symptoms under the same conditions on my 2016 explorer with less then 28K miles. I have ruled out plugs and coils. The photo of the invoice you uploaded is no longer there, do you mind reposting it?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Hi guys im just going to chime in and tell you what this problem was as i am a technician and i just went through the same issue myself with a 17 explorer with a 3.5 non turbo, so i replaced the rear main seal, in doing so i had to remove the flex plate and the crank position sensor toner ring as well as the crank sensor, after reassembling and test driving at wide open throttle upon shifting to the next gear, the CEL would flash and i would habve 2 cylinders disabled, cyl 2 and 6 for approx 20 seconds, i checked for a pinched wire, nothing, i checked coils and injectors....all good....the problem was,.....you ready?

i needed to perform the misfire monitor neautral profile correction with my scan tool, after that, it was all set, so OP....they made you pay for all that crap for nothing....i bet none of your parts were bad, it simply needed to be reconfigured thats all

Hi guys im just going to chime in and tell you what this problem was as i am a technician and i just went through the same issue myself with a 17 explorer with a 3.5 non turbo, so i replaced the rear main seal, in doing so i had to remove the flex plate and the crank position sensor toner ring as well as the crank sensor, after reassembling and test driving at wide open throttle upon shifting to the next gear, the CEL would flash and i would habve 2 cylinders disabled, cyl 2 and 6 for approx 20 seconds, i checked for a pinched wire, nothing, i checked coils and injectors....all good....the problem was,.....you ready?

i needed to perform the misfire monitor neautral profile correction with my scan tool, after that, it was all set, so OP....they made you pay for all that crap for nothing....i bet none of your parts were bad, it simply needed to be reconfigured thats all
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Hello there! I’d like to thank you very much for your help with a similar problem that I’d been having with an Explorer. I recently did a complete R&R of a transmission on a 2014 Explorer. While I had the old transmission out of the vehicle, my co-worker suggested removing the ring gear, so that we could see if it would be possible to reposition it. He wanted to see if we’d be able to minimize wear on the gear by rotating it to another spot. We removed the ring gear, and tried moving it just a bit. But, it turned out that the gear was indexed, so we ended up putting it right back where it had been. I installed the new transmission, and test drove the vehicle. Almost immediately, I got the check engine light, and codes for cylinders 2 and 6 misfires. We swapped coils, spark plugs, and fuel injectors with some of the other cylinders, but the codes kept returning. We even hooked up a noid light to the fuel injector for cylinder 2. When the engine idled, there was no problem. But, when I accelerated to approximately 2000 rpm, the noid light went out. Then, it would come back on again when the engine went down to an idle. I did some digging around on the internet, which led me to this forum. Thanks to the helpful advice from
MasterSe7en777, i was able to read about the misfire monitor relearn procedure. We hooked up our shop’s laptop, and did the procedure. It worked like a charm, and everything turned out cool. Just the simple act of moving the ring gear, and putting it right back where it had been, caused all the crazy problems. Thanks very much to this forum and MasterSe7en777 for the awesome
help! Excellent, dudes!

Change spark plugs 2 and 6 for a brand new SP… I got same problem and my plugs were broken on the ceramic…. I changed them and voila!!…

Hello there! I’d like to thank you very much for your help with a similar problem that I’d been having with an Explorer............................................................................................. ................................................... Thanks very much to this forum and MasterSe7en777 for the awesome help! Excellent, dudes!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back