2011 Center Console Swap Advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Center Console Swap Advice

dcexplorer11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Base
Hi, any advice on how easy/difficult it'd be to swap the aftermarket LE one? (oddly enough it's a normal Base model not Law Enforcement yet they managed to put in a Havis console in it for use. I researched and found few parts on Ebay (some select shift, some without--whatever that means) but not sure how to make sure it'd fit.

C-VS-1600-EXPL-1_P_5-11%20(1)_600.JPG

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

C-VS-1600-EXPL-1_A_5-11%20(16)-W_600.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the Select Shift is the round knob in front of the shifter in the console picture you show. It controls the AWD settings.

Hi, any advice on how easy/difficult it'd be to swap the aftermarket LE one? (oddly enough it's a normal Base model not Law Enforcement yet they managed to put in a Havis console in it for use. I researched and found few parts on Ebay (some select shift, some without--whatever that means) but not sure how to make sure it'd fit.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.
Welcome to the Forum.
The round knob on the console is the Terrain Management Sytem control (TMS). I'm not sure if that is what they refer to as "SelectShift". In the 2011 Manual SelectShift refers to being able to shift manually. If I recall, there is a button/switch on the console mounted gear shifter knob for this.

SelectShift Automatic™ transmission (SST)
This feature allows you to manually shift gears. If your vehicle is
equipped with this feature it will be denoted by an M instead of an L
located in the shift selector indicator.
Regardless of display mode chosen, when SST is activated, the cluster
will change to the tachometer if not already selected, and the M will light
up in the shift select indicator and also in the message center.

Peter

Thanks guys!

So, I confirmed that the round knob is the terrain settings. So the select shift must be a embeded +/- button on the console gear shifter. Unfortunately, I don't see a button on the Havis PIU aftermarket console gear shifter. I wonder if it matters if I buy a console from eBay with or without it (worse case the function isn't available, which I can live with). Do you guys have experience with the whole console swap? (i.e. take out the Havis police console and put in OEM console back). Is it doable or do I have to go to dealership?

Sorry, can't help you with that one.

It's relatively easy. You'd just have to swap your shifter and knob to the new console if you find one without those parts. You'd probably have to remove some or all of you current console to see if you have all the mounting brackets or need to get them also. Just go to Ford parts to see the exploded view.

Any 2011-18 console should work, but an 11-15 one will match your interior trim.

Only other thing would be the rear panel with or without hvac controls and if any wiring in your vehicle has been cut or otherwise boogered up.

Havis sells consoles for both the PIU with column shift and the retail Explorer with floor shift.

Just buy a bone yard center console from an Explorer with your trim colors and pull the Havis console. The shifter doesn't move in the process. Follow Havis's instructions for installation for your specific model of console in reverse order. On most of the Police consoles, your TMS knob will move positions to a different location than on the OEM console.

Just buy a bone yard center console from an Explorer with your trim colors and pull the Havis console. The shifter doesn't move in the process. Follow Havis's instructions for installation for your specific model of console in reverse order. On most of the Police consoles, your TMS knob will move positions to a different location than on the OEM console.
Not sure what you mean by the shifter not moving in the process, but according to Havis instructions, all the center console trim and the housing has to be removed and shifter and TMS transferred to new Havis console. The shifter may end up in the same position relative to other parts, but it most definitely shows in the instructions as being removed from the retail console and installed in the Havis console.

https://www.havis.com/data/1-Mounti...VS-1600-EXPL-1/C-VS-1600-EXPL-1_INST_1-18.pdf

If OP didn't get any of the original console parts with his vehicle, OP has to buy a full console to install or buy a console less the shifter and TMS and transfer his parts over. Couldn't tell in the instructions if some brackets are removed/discarded or not, and it looks like at least the 12v powerpoint wires say to cut the connector off, so OP will need to figure that part out when re-wiring 12v powerpoints.

The physical shifter itself does not move. It is bolted to the floor. The decorative boot and trim pieces around it are manipulated and moved when removing the OEM console and when installing the Havis console. You don't get to choose to relocate the shifter to a different location when installing the Havis console - the console is designed around the factory mounting position of the shifter. That's why Police consoles for floor shift vehicles all have the same depth and limitations to mounting lengths. If the retail Explorer floor shifter is mounted 10" above the floor, then the Havis police console for retail Explorers can only come in a 10" depth variant, while the PIU consoles come in multiple different designs and configurations.

Does that make sense now?

The physical shifter itself does not move. It is bolted to the floor. The decorative boot and trim pieces around it are manipulated and moved when removing the OEM console and when installing the Havis console. You don't get to choose to relocate the shifter to a different location when installing the Havis console - the console is designed around the factory mounting position of the shifter. That's why Police consoles for floor shift vehicles all have the same depth and limitations to mounting lengths. If the retail Explorer floor shifter is mounted 10" above the floor, then the Havis police console for retail Explorers can only come in a 10" depth variant, while the PIU consoles come in multiple different designs and configurations.

Does that make sense now?

Nothing personal, but your post makes no sense and I have no idea what you are talking about.

In the OEM retail console, the shifter assembly is NOT bolted to the floor. It is bolted to the console body and the console body is bolted to the vehicle/floor. The shifter needs to be removed and remounted into the Havis console. Havis and others make consoles for the console shift retail explorers and the column shift PIUs.

I linked the Havis install instructions for the console the OP was asking about - maybe you should have a look at them.

Who am I kidding - no one reads anything - here are the important pics from the document that show the shifter needs to be removed from the OEM console and reinstalled into the Havis console.

remove shifter assembly from OE console
e9anv7c.png

removal of OEM console to make room for install of Havis console
DNgyUYx.png

reinstall in Havis console
EZG4lTb.png

Nothing personal, but your post makes no sense and I have no idea what you are talking about.

In the OEM retail console, the shifter assembly is NOT bolted to the floor. It is bolted to the console body and the console body is bolted to the vehicle/floor. The shifter needs to be removed and remounted into the Havis console. Havis and others make consoles for the console shift retail explorers and the column shift PIUs.

I linked the Havis install instructions for the console the OP was asking about - maybe you should have a look at them.

Who am I kidding - no one reads anything - here are the important pics from the document that show the shifter needs to be removed from the OEM console and reinstalled into the Havis console.

remove shifter assembly from OE console
e9anv7c.png

removal of OEM console to make room for install of Havis console
DNgyUYx.png

reinstall in Havis console
EZG4lTb.png

Okay, you can do without the personal attacks and snide remarks, thank you.

Apparently, as I see now, the current Explorer requires physical removal of the shifter. I've never looked at a retail Explorers because they simply didn't have the features I wanted versus the 4th Gen or versus the PIU. The 4th Gen and similar body style Escape required manipulating the police console around an immovable shifter.

So yes, my post makes perfect sense. I should know because I studied the installation manuals for Havis consoles for both the 2010- Escapes and Explorers. I was never interested in a 2011+ retail Explorer, so I simply assumed the process was similar. It's not as big of a catastrophe that you make it to be... I simply assumed incorrectly. Sue me...

Apparently, as I see now, the current Explorer requires physical removal of the shifter. I've never looked at a retail Explorers because they simply didn't have the features I wanted versus the 4th Gen or versus the PIU. The 4th Gen and similar body style Escape required manipulating the police console around an immovable shifter.

So yes, my post makes perfect sense. I should know because I studied the installation manuals for Havis consoles for both the 2010- Escapes and Explorers. I was never interested in a 2011+ retail Explorer, so I simply assumed the process was similar. It's not as big of a catastrophe that you make it to be... I simply assumed incorrectly. Sue me...
1dxet4.jpg

All I can say is wow. You posted incorrect info and were shown it was incorrect. You doubled down on the incorrect info and were shown it was still incorrect. Now you agree that the info you posted was wrong, but still think your post makes sense???

It's not even 9am yet and all those mental gymnastics are making my head hurt...

I know you can buy retail console on eBay with and without shifter, so does the shifter change (somewhat) based on trim levels?

I know you can buy retail console on eBay with and without shifter, so does the shifter change (somewhat) based on trim levels?
I don't know specifically about all the variations in 2011+ explorers, but it is possible to have trim and feature variations within the same year and from year to year within a model. ex: base model may have a painted insert and uplevel may have chrome insert. I'm not sure how Ford does the selectshift stuff in all instances, but lower trim models may have the +/- button on the shifter and uplevel/performance models may have paddle shifters instead.

Since the 5th generation was a complete redesign, your error was in assuming that nothing had changed and then stating the incorrect assumption as a fact. It is always best to not assume anything if you are not 100% certain, particularly when a redesign is involved. Now with the 6th generation 2020 Explorer just around the corner, who knows what changes that will bring about in comparison to the current version.

Peter

I believe there were slight variations in the shifter in model years and I think it had to do with the earlier models having the + / - on the shifter knob and later ones having the shift paddles.

Peter

I believe there were slight variations in the shifter in model years and I think it had to do with the earlier models having the + / - on the shifter knob and later ones having the shift paddles.

Peter
Thanks for the feedback. Yes thought there might be slight variations even within model year. Funny as it may seem.... when I was buying retail console for my PIU pricing did not seem to matter as to having shifter in console, or removed. But as pointed out, also check for rear HVAC controls as that might be extra stuff that is of little use in PIU.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back