2011 Explorer bad engine what's it worth? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer bad engine what's it worth?

Jgeisz72

Reaction score
City, State
Washington , IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Looking for advice. Have an opportunity to acquire a 2011 Explorer XLT that overheated. 137k miles. Oil/coolant mixed. Good rubber. Super clean inside and out. Starts up fine but runs rough after a few mins. I would either buy a junkyard engine or tear it down and rebuild it myself.
Are these notorious for head gasket issues? Once they overheat do they typically warp the heads? And I guess most importantly, what would be a fair price given it's current condition? Thanks All!

1646860640415.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am assuming this is a N/A V6 model. The 3.5L/3.7L engines are very reliable and stout. Especially if run N/A. I have not heard of any head gasket issues to speak of. Its main issue is the internal water pump with the transverse mounted engines. I would assume the PTU needs replaced and maybe even the transmission to set a safe price that protects you. But then those items probably aren't too much if included with a used engine. I would take what it is worth if it was in proper working order and deduct $8k-$10k off that price which is probably what a dealer would charge to replace the engine.

Looking for advice. Have an opportunity to acquire a 2011 Explorer XLT that overheated. 137k miles. Oil/coolant mixed. Good rubber. Super clean inside and out. Starts up fine but runs rough after a few mins. I would either buy a junkyard engine or tear it down and rebuild it myself.
Are these notorious for head gasket issues? Once they overheat do they typically warp the heads? And I guess most importantly, what would be a fair price given it's current condition? Thanks All!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
as mentioned above, head gaskets are not really an issue with the 5th gen. A failed water pump may have been the issue here if you see an oil and coolant mix on the dipstick. Water pump failure leads to dead engine
This is a forum vendor and provides a discount to members. Engine for 2011 Ford Explorer | Genuine Ford Auto Parts

Peter

It more than likely needs a new engine if it ever ran while overheating. As mentioned, once the coolant from the water pump enters the oil pan the the engine is junk.

I would make sure you can source a good used engine or find another donor car with engine. I imagine a used low mileage engine would be $2k or less for complete assembly. I would consider installing a new waterpump and timing set in the replacement engine while it is out and factor that into the cost as well.

If you can get it running and driving all for under 10k that would be a decent deal. Good used cars are in high demand.

Back