2011 Explorer Door Seals & Water Retention | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Door Seals & Water Retention

FordEx11

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT FWD
I purchased a 2011 Explorer just over a month ago and have notice the A-Pillar rattle this issue is in the process of being resolved.

However, has anyone noticed a significant amount of water being retained in the primary door seal? Basically, each time I open the door after the car sits in a heavy rain approximately 3-6 ounces of water drops out of the bottom of the door. This seems to be most prevalent in the fronts and happens even if the car has been sitting for several hours after the rain. Once you open the door water just dumps out from the seal and lower inner door panel area.

I've been able to reproduce this issue with a garden hose on "gentle shower" setting such that is simulates heavy rain without going crazy and unrealistically overloading the system. It looks like water is being retained in the seal but also and/or more importantly in between the primary (door-mounted) seal and the secondary (body-mounted) seal. It looks like there is water coming between the door seal and body seal via the inner door panel. If I look at the bottom of the inner door panel you have two screws which anchor it near the bottom. I've see drips coming out from under the inner door panel in this location which could explain why water is accumulating between the door and body seal.

I am concerned that over periods of time this could cause a corrosion issue. Has anybody had absolutely any type of water issue with their doors?

Thought? Any fixes? Warranty work done for similar issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I've been able to identify one additional issue. It looks like there is water coming between the door seal and body seal via the inner door panel. If you look at the bottom of the inner door panel you have two screws which anchor it near the bottom. I've see drips coming out from under the inner door panel in this location which could explain why water is accumulating between the door and body seal.

Thoughts???? This is quite concerning.

I'm having the same thing. I thought it was normal though. I guess as long as it doesn't leak out into the interior, you're good...

1995E do you think this could cause a corrosion problem? I mean I owned a 99 explorer and never had the door retaining water like this. We've got a 2010 Fusion, 2008 F150, 2001 Escape, 97 Aerostar, 99 Mustang and none of these vehicles hold water in any of the seals. They seems to either let the water drain or don't get past the seal to begin with.

From what I can see, the is bottom just black plastic and that is where all the water seems to come out. Doesn't seem like it'll be a corrosion problem.

I'll check for more places water might be stuck at but the area looks to be coated with paint so I don't think corrossion problems would arise.

It does seem odd though and it's probably best if we get a confirmation if this is normal or not.

Back