• Register Today It's free!

2011 explorer key not found

Clay.sullivan1

Reaction score
City, State
Bremen, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
So I just bought a one owner 2011 explorer limited to replace my 2003 model limited. Everything worked fine and all of a sudden my back up camera said can't be displayed contract dealership. So I called the dealer and they said no problem they can replace it but before they do I should try unhooking the battery for fifteen minutes because it will be a few weeks before they can get to it. So I unhook the negative cable wait and reconnect it. Didn't fix the camera no big deal they will fix it and I can survive a couple weeks but after reconnecting the battery now my push button start won't work it's saying key not found so I called and they say it's the battery so I put a brand new one in and still not found. I can lock and unlock the touch button on the handle responds and the remote start works. I can start it by putting the key in the holder in the console but would rather not have to do that every time. Any ideas as to why it stopped letting me start the car after unhooking the battery or was that just a coincidence? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Clay.:wave:
Given the year of your Explorer and the message that came up, there is a 99% chance the camera needs to be replaced. Just make sure that when they replace it that they also configure it to your vehicle. Otherwise you may not have the proper guidelines. In the 8+ years I've been on here, I don't recall ever hearing about the other issue with the push to start after disconnecting/connecting the battery. Have you tried both key fobs (assuming they gave you two) to see if it works? The vehicles initially come with two. I've had the "key not found" message come up a couple times when I exited and re-entered the vehicle while it was running. I just pressed 'OK' and everything was back to normal. When you replaced that battery did you wipe off any of the grease that was there? The Manual says no to as it is a dielectric grease.

Peter

+1 for the dielectric grease check.

Haven't read about fob failures otherwise.

Welcome to the Forum Clay.:wave:
Given the year of your Explorer and the message that came up, there is a 99% chance the camera needs to be replaced. Just make sure that when they replace it that they also configure it to your vehicle. Otherwise you may not have the proper guidelines. In the 8+ years I've been on here, I don't recall ever hearing about the other issue with the push to start after disconnecting/connecting the battery. Have you tried both key fobs (assuming they gave you two) to see if it works? The vehicles initially come with two. I've had the "key not found" message come up a couple times when I exited and re-entered the vehicle while it was running. I just pressed 'OK' and everything was back to normal. When you replaced that battery did you wipe off any of the grease that was there? The Manual says no to as it is a dielectric grease.

Peter
Yes I tried both keys and no I left the grease alone I figured it needed to be there. So it looks like I'm probably replacing my camera. Or the dealership is at least. Any idea on the keyless entry pad flashing over and over then stops for a few seconds and starts again I've tried entering the code on the door and in the car also tried holding down the bottom two buttons and unlocking the door with the key. I'm thinking it's gonna have to go too.

Did the doors lock when you held the bottom 2 buttons? Was the door code with the vehicle when you bought it? Just trying to make sure it's the right code. I seldom use mine but I'm guessing the flashing is due to a wrong code? Not sure why it would start flashing again.

Peter

No it doesn't do anything when I hold down the button and I have the correct code I used the original code plus one I programmed myself through the touch screen

It would appear that your Securicode key pad may be faulty. Did it ever work for you?

Peter

Got the key issue fixed but the door pad still will not work I had to pull the fuse and give up on it. It seems like from what I've read that a lot of people have trouble with the new key pads. The one on my old explorer with the rubber buttons still works perfectly since I got it. I guess my next move us to replace the thing and get over it. Looks like it's gonna run about 160 if I do it myself. Anyone have any idea how to access it. I'm sure I could figure it out being as it seems to just plug and play but any info on replacing one would be really helpful. Thanks.

I believe you have to remove the inside part of the 'B' pillar. It is mentioned in one of the threads on Securicode / keypad issues.

Peter

Last edited:

I believe you have to remove the inside part of the 'B' pillar. It is mentioned in one of the threads on Securicode / keypad issues.

Peter

That has airbags right?

Disconnect battery, use caution, etc etc

I'll check out that other thread. Thanks for all the help. By the way fixing the key I just disconnected my negative post again and connected it with both keys in the car. Don't know if it was a fluke or not but it worked and haven't had a problem since.

Peter
After giving this some thought, I began to second guess myself since the Securicode panel is affixed to the driver's door. I did some more searching and found the post where a member changed out his own. It is the door panel that has to come off. Keyless Entry (Securicode) Door Pad Not working

Peter

Back