2011 Explorer knock/tapping noise when cold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer knock/tapping noise when cold

steveo7177

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
My 2011 Explorer XLT now makes a knocking noise when cold. It only occurs when I first start pulling out under light to moderate throttle from 1500 to 3000 rpm only when the engine is cold. After only about 1 or 2 minutes the knocking sound gradually goes away.
I placed a post about this matter back in early December and then it only sounded like a fluttering noise, but has now progressed into a knocking noise. It sounds like its coming from right behind the firewall area.
There is now 8500 miles on the car and the cold winter weather makes the sound more noticeable.
This sound reminds me of "piston slap" but I don't think it's that because you can't here anything by simply reving the engine in neutral when its cold.
Very confusing??
I'm just about ready to take it to the dealer. I hope it's nothing serious because I really like everything else about this vehicle!
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why haven't you taken it to your dealer?

Yes I will take it to the dealer shortly especially now that it's getting worse.
I thought I'd post this problem here first. It always helps to have some extra "ammo" (or info) if you know what I mean.

Anyone with any ideas I'd certainly like to hear them -- much appreciated,
Steve

Good to hear that!
Can you direct me to that link?
Thank's much

I say go for the connecting rods.

Im not being a smart-ass. The TSB is about ticking, not knocking. A TSB is only a noted complaint. It doesn't neccessarily describe a fix.
I'm only pointing out that nothing gets resolved here on a board. It's not like asking what the torque on a header bolt is. You wouldn't go to a message board if you had a severe pain in your left lower back. You'd go to a doctor.
Until one takes their car to a tech, there can be no resolution. Geeze, lighten up dude.

No, please don't get me wrong. I'm not looking for a "resolution" and I'm trying hard not to be too heavy? I'm only looking for some possibilities of what the problem is before I take it back to the dealer and start complaining. I think most of you know what happens all too often when you take your "warranty covered vehicle" to the dealer with a complaint. Just look all over this forum and I think you'll see what I mean. Some dealers just don't seem to find any problems with a vehicle under factory warranty.
Anyhow, enough of that!
I am making an appointment with the dealer today and we'll see what happens. I'll be sure to post the results of the visit so you can see what they say.
Thank you for your help and have a good one
Steve

Here's a thought; on the way to dropping off your EX, stop by Dunkin Donuts and pick up 3-dozen assorted to give to your service advisor. I've been doing this for years and it works.

Im not being a smart-ass. The TSB is about ticking, not knocking. A TSB is only a noted complaint. It doesn't neccessarily describe a fix.
I'm only pointing out that nothing gets resolved here on a board. It's not like asking what the torque on a header bolt is. You wouldn't go to a message board if you had a severe pain in your left lower back. You'd go to a doctor.
Until one takes their car to a tech, there can be no resolution. Geeze, lighten up dude.

If I recall correctly from another thread, the TSB had a known fix associated with it, and the original poster's description stated a knocking/tapping noise which could easily be described as a ticking sound.

There's nothing wrong going in to the service advisor asking about a TSB.

...I am making an appointment with the dealer today and we'll see what happens. I'll be sure to post the results of the visit so you can see what they say...
Did the appointment with the dealer go well, Steve? I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, please send a PM with your mileage, contact info, dealer name/state, and VIN.

Here's a thought; on the way to dropping off your EX, stop by Dunkin Donuts and pick up 3-dozen assorted to give to your service advisor. I've been doing this for years and it works.
There’s nothing like a bavarian cream, boss377! :D

Cory

I've had similar noises in my push-rod 4.0L over the years, caused by a number of different things.

The first was caused by wrist pins, so said the Dealers lead tech , over about a month it had come to sound more like a danged diesel, so Ford replaced the engine on my then new 99 4.0L. lol

The replacement engine developed a similar sounding knock, that would go away after the engine warmed up some, that Ford named "marble noise", which they also said was "normal for this engine" & that high mileage tests showed it wouldn't adversely affect it's life, so engine replacement wasn't authorized!!!!!

They explained that it's caused be the piston wobbling in it's bore at the bottom of it's stroke, when the crank changes direction & pushes on the piston from the opposite side. This "wobble" in the cylinder, was caused by Ford boring, stroking & trimming the pistons skirt to shorten it, to increase engine displacement & lessen piston mass. It's kinda their explanation of "piston slap", I suppose.

The third knock source, was Combustion Chamber Deposit Interference (CCDI), this was caused by Ford letting engine part tolerance build up get away from them, such that there was too little clearance in the "squish zone", between the top of the piston & head, such that the piston could contact the head through the combustion chamber deposits on the piston crown & head, until things warm up & expanded to give some clearance, or until we do a "decarb treatment" to tidy things up inside.

The third thing was that I found on an oil change, if I didn't First drain the oil pan, then refill it without delay, then remove the old oil filter Last & without delay install a Completely filled new one, it would begin to "marble" about 30 seconds after restarting the engine after the oil change & sometimes it would marble knock for days, before quieting down, depending on how much of the unfilled oil filter air bubble was trapped. SO, if you've recently changed the oil & filter & didn't prefill the filter & or changed it first, you likely trapped an air bubble in an oiling system dead end gallery & it'll just have to work itself out over a few days running.

My marble noise was only heard at idle speed. Changing the oil & filter the way I outlined on the 4.0L push rod engine, has cured that problem.

With your knock sound going away after a few minutes of running, it could be any of the last 3 things I outlined, so take your pick to see which one best fits. The marble knock on my replacement engine was caused by CCDI & my oil change routine, both of which I've found work around for.

A bunch of thoughts for pondering, Let us know what you find & how it goes.

Welcome to the Forum Althea326.:wavey:
Just thought I'd point out that the last post here prior to yours was about 3.5 years ago. Also the 5th generation Explorer, 2011 +, is a completely redesigned vehicle on a new unibody platform. Thanks for your input.

Peter

Back