2011 explorer limited motor question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 explorer limited motor question

Nick Van Dam

Reaction score
City, State
Woodford va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 limited
Hi forum, new member here. I have a 2011 explorer with a dropped valve I think, and I am considering engine options, what has to be done to install a 2013 to 2017 engine bc, They are more available with low miles. I am thinking swap heads? And external components, Has anybody had expierence with this? Or am I better off to get remanufactured? Also crazy thought I know, can a eco boost be installed, I am really getting into the possibilities with this vehicle. Thanks
Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For giggles I pulled the VIN of a 2011 Limited NA and a 2017 Limited NA.

They're both listed in OASIS as '3.5L Cyclone V6 Petrol TIVCT.' Same coding in the build sheet, too, ENKX.

I'm kind of surprised by this actually--For the 2010 MY to 2012 in Taurus, it was VCT, not TiVCT until a refresh in 2013.

Can't confirm they're interchangeable, but OASIS doesn't seem to suggest differently. Different calibrations are shown, but not sure how to interpret that.

You think a dropped valve? I think I'd start with a proper diagnosis and assessment first and then go from there. If the engine can be repaired, you may be better off removing it and rebuilding it - replace and upgrade the waterpump and timing chain while doing so.

You think a dropped valve? I think I'd start with a proper diagnosis and assessment first and then go from there. If the engine can be repaired, you may be better off removing it and rebuilding it - replace and upgrade the waterpump and timing chain while doing so.

46097DFE-CF56-4551-934B-616C98F93489.jpeg

59A24A67-ECFF-4FA1-9B6C-8E34311F5B78.jpeg

Nice. Did you get an inspection camera in there? Turn over? Compression?

This is the spark plug so I need a camera to look and see what caused this the piston looks good but I also found metal in the cyl 5 so 5 and 6 are contaminated her husband changed the plugs and m
Nice. Did you get an inspection camera in there? Turn over? Compression?

I have turned it from the crank bolt with a bar and it stopped turning, it will not turn over with the starter I have to borrow a inspection camera

Are those the correct spark plugs? Looks like maybe the first four or five threads extended into the combustion chamber. Is it possible the plug was damaged when the piston hit it?

Are those the correct spark plugs? Looks like maybe the first four or five threads extended into the combustion chamber. Is it possible the plug was damaged when the piston hit it?
That was my initial thought also and believe me I looked up the plug number that’s on the plug and I went online and I did the research and I looked up the correct plug so I even went to a parts Store and ordered a spark plug the same number 12 - 5 Motorcraft platinum

Also when I pulled the spark plug on number five cylinder, there was a piece of metal lodged between the plug and the electrode, The metal was about a quarter of an inch and a eighth of an inch long something like that in about a 16th of an inch wide somewhere along those dimensions it was like a small rectangular chunk of metal

I don't think I've ever pulled a plug that didn't have some carbon/discoloration on the first few threads (they don't hermetically seal against the combustion chamber). The way the first two threads are damaged though seems to indicate they may have been damaged from impact with debris in the combustion chamber and potential for internal engine damage.

As with everything, I am sure there is way more to the story. Is Nick a mechanic working on the car or friend/neighbor.

I saw the comment:
her husband changed the plugs and m
but not sure what that means.

Is he not mechanically inclined? Did he do something wrong when changing the plugs or accidentally drop something into the engine (maybe when doing other work)?

As it is, you have a damaged plug and an engine that won't turn over. You can either get a camera in their and inspect and/or remove the head, or you can just write it off and replace the engine depending on your skill level, what you charge and/or what the owners are willing to pay, how soon the owners need the vehicle back on the road, or whatever other considerations need to be made.

Correct me if Inam qrong but I believe this is a first on the forum to have something like this (damage inside.. possible dropped valve etc).

Also, I do not velieve there was any changes in the 11-15MY 3.5s so I believe you could swap for any of thise years as long as you obviously go non turbo to non turbo etc.

I don't think I've ever pulled a plug that didn't have some carbon/discoloration on the first few threads (they don't hermetically seal against the combustion chamber). The way the first two threads are damaged though seems to indicate they may have been damaged from impact with debris in the combustion chamber and potential for internal engine damage.

As with everything, I am sure there is way more to the story. Is Nick a mechanic working on the car or friend/neighbor.

I saw the comment:
but not sure what that means.

Is he not mechanically inclined? Did he do something wrong when changing the plugs or accidentally drop something into the engine (maybe when doing other work)?

As it is, you have a damaged plug and an engine that won't turn over. You can either get a camera in their and inspect and/or remove the head, or you can just write it off and replace the engine depending on your skill level, what you charge and/or what the owners are willing to pay, how soon the owners need the vehicle back on the road, or whatever other considerations need to be made.
Actually it is a friend of mine’s car, and because I found a piece of metal in number five cylinder and the spark plug is pulled from number six cylinder I am not entirely certain that the guy who change the spark plugs didn’t drop metal into the cylinders

I know that the the later model engines will bolt up, my only concern was the computer in the potentially throwing alerts because it’s not recognizing the correct engine I guess I need to go to a dealership and get a final answer on that I think worst-case scenario you might have to change a wiring harness or something or maybe the computer

Have you gotten a camera in there yet? Did you id the piece of metal?

Was it the current husband that changed the plugs or possibly a disgruntled ex...;-)

Back