2011 Explorer Limited vs. 2010 or 2009 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Limited vs. 2010 or 2009 Explorer Limited

phreaky_d

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Ltd.
Hi, everyone! I'm a n00b here and I need some advice. I currently have an old '95 Explorer XLT that has served me well for 10 years, but the car is starting to fall apart and the time has come for me to get a newer Explorer. I'm saving up some money to either get a used 2011 Explorer Limited (preferably with the Rapid Spec 302 configuration) or a used 2010 or 2009 Explorer Limited with Sync, factory navigation, and a moon roof.

I'd like some advice from you guys (preferably from people who have experience with both models) as to which you would prefer and why. The 2011 looks like a pretty awesome car, but I have read mixed reviews on it and have heard some of the horror stories with respect to the MyFord Touch issues. I also understand the 2011 is more of a crossover and is quite different from the truck-based SUV 2009 and 2010 models. I recently test drove a 2009 Limited with the hard drive-based navigation system and was very impressed with the Sync system in the car and loved the feature. It was REALLY cool to have the Sync system change radio stations for me and input directions on the navigation system in that 2009 model. From what I have read so far, it seems the Sync system in the older 2009 and 2010 models is more stable and reliable than Sync or MyFord Touch in the 2011.

Safety is also a big concern for me and I like the height and body-on-frame truck structure of the 2009 and 2010 SUV models. I have yet to test drive a 2011, but I understand the ride is a lot smoother on the 2011. Also, the V6 on the 2009 and 2010 models seems a bit sluggish to me and not much better than the V6 in my '95 Explorer. It seems people like the V8 engines better on the 2009 and 2010 models, but those are pretty much impossible to find in my area. How does the new 2011 V6 compare to the older engines?

So long story short...I'm torn between the 2011 Limited or the 2009/2010 Limited. Of course this is a highly-subjective question, but I just want to hear people's preferences as to which model they like better and why. A pro/con list would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you need the larger physical size of the 3rd gen Ex, or the, um, bloated size of the 2011+ Ex?

I only ask since I was incredibly happy with the size minus a little bit of rear cargo of the Escape as compared to my gen 2 Explorers. As far as physical size and driving characteristics, it's really close to the Gen II IMHO.

I've driven both (2007 and 2011) and the ride quality is significantly better on the 2011 when both are equipped with 20" wheels. Agreed, the old sohc V6 is a bit sluggish, better off with sohc V8 if looking for 4th gen, they're out there.

Hi, everyone! I'm a n00b here and I need some advice. I currently have an old '95 Explorer XLT that has served me well for 10 years, but the car is starting to fall apart and the time has come for me to get a newer Explorer. I'm saving up some money to either get a used 2011 Explorer Limited (preferably with the Rapid Spec 302 configuration) or a used 2010 or 2009 Explorer Limited with Sync, factory navigation, and a moon roof.

I'd like some advice from you guys (preferably from people who have experience with both models) as to which you would prefer and why. The 2011 looks like a pretty awesome car, but I have read mixed reviews on it and have heard some of the horror stories with respect to the MyFord Touch issues. I also understand the 2011 is more of a crossover and is quite different from the truck-based SUV 2009 and 2010 models. I recently test drove a 2009 Limited with the hard drive-based navigation system and was very impressed with the Sync system in the car and loved the feature. It was REALLY cool to have the Sync system change radio stations for me and input directions on the navigation system in that 2009 model. From what I have read so far, it seems the Sync system in the older 2009 and 2010 models is more stable and reliable than Sync or MyFord Touch in the 2011.

Safety is also a big concern for me and I like the height and body-on-frame truck structure of the 2009 and 2010 SUV models. I have yet to test drive a 2011, but I understand the ride is a lot smoother on the 2011. Also, the V6 on the 2009 and 2010 models seems a bit sluggish to me and not much better than the V6 in my '95 Explorer. It seems people like the V8 engines better on the 2009 and 2010 models, but those are pretty much impossible to find in my area. How does the new 2011 V6 compare to the older engines?

So long story short...I'm torn between the 2011 Limited or the 2009/2010 Limited. Of course this is a highly-subjective question, but I just want to hear people's preferences as to which model they like better and why. A pro/con list would be great!

If I recall correctly, the V6 in the 2011 is only around 5 hp less than the V8 of the 2009/2010 with better gas mileage.

As far as Synch goes - if you can wait two months, there is supposed to be a major update of the software (free for owners). If it is a concern, wait until people start driving around with the update and reporting back about it.

I'm ok with a little bit of "bloated" Ex as you describe...LOL! I just wanted to try and get everyone's feedback on both models so I can make a more informed decision as to which to go with. It's good to hear the ride quality is better on the '11. I'm torn between the two because I liked the way the '09 Limited performed and the Sync and navigation system on that were quite impressive. I was under the assumption that with all the problems the current MFT and Sync systems seem to be having, the older '09 and '10 Sync systems seemed to be a bit more stable. Cargo space is relatively important, but I'd be ok with a bit less cargo space in the '11. Engine power is relatively important to me since I was not too impressed with the '09's V6 and was wondering if the '11 V6 performs significantly better (it seems so). Does anyone else have any impressions?

I own a 2009 Eddie Bauer with V8, sync, factory navigation and moon roof. I also own a loaded 2011 Limited. (The Eddie Bauer isn't quite to the level of a Limited but mine does have most of the options available.)

As far as the engines go, the 2011 V6 has 290 hp while the 2009 V8 has 292 hp. The V8 sounds much better under load and probably has a bit more torque but the V6 in the 2011 doesn't disappoint me at all. In fact the fuel economy is much better so I prefer the engine in the 2011.

As far as comfort, luxury, drive, etc. goes, the 2011 wins hands down.

For off road I would definitely pick the 2009. I'm not saying that the 2011 couldn't be taken off road but it just doesn't seem to me that it should be.

Despite some glitches with MFT in the 2011 I still prefer it to the system in the 2009. Assuming the soon to be released upgrade works as promised there should be absolutely no contest.

Basically, I like just about everything better in the 2011. The only exceptions I can think of are the engine sound and feel and the (perceived) off road capability difference. If I could have only one, the decision would be very easy.

Cargo space is relatively important, but I'd be ok with a bit less cargo space in the '11.
I find there is more cargo space in the 2011 than the 2009. When the third row seats are in use the 2011 has a lot more space. With the third row seats folded the difference isn't as extreme but I still think the 2011 holds more.

Just remember- the issues are with MFT. Sync is a separate entity, and it works fine when it's not paired with MFT...

I just posted this in another thread, maybe it will illustrate the size differences for you between the gen 3/4 and the 2011+

chart1.jpg

Hi, everyone! I'm a n00b here and I need some advice. I currently have an old '95 Explorer XLT that has served me well for 10 years, but the car is starting to fall apart and the time has come for me to get a newer Explorer...

So long story short...I'm torn between the 2011 Limited or the 2009/2010 Limited...
Welcome to the forum, phreaky_d! As you can see here, there are a lot of community members that really love their 2011. Whatever you decide, I’m sure it’ll be a bit of a step up from your ’95. :)

...Basically, I like just about everything better in the 2011. The only exceptions I can think of are the engine sound and feel and the (perceived) off road capability difference. If I could have only one, the decision would be very easy.
I appreciate everybody for taking the time to help out. :D

...I just posted this in another thread, maybe it will illustrate the size differences for you between the gen 3/4 and the 2011+...
Great chart, Joe; thanks!

Cory

Hi, Cory...thanks for the warm welcome, I sure appreciate it! And thanks for the great feedback, sdm...I was definitely looking for that type of input. Your experience and advice is excellent, I really appreciate it. And thanks for that chart, Joe! That's a GREAT chart that illustrates the differences well! In light of the input, I'm definitely leaning more towards the 2011. I'll keep saving some more cash and hopefully be able to afford a used 2011 Limited by the end of the year. I was quite impressed with the 2009 Limited I drove, but I haven't tried an '11 yet. I definitely will!

I have an '06 V8 Explorer and my mom has a 2011 Explorer. The new one is definitely much smoother and more compliant over bumps and what not. The interior quality is much better. The fuel economy is much better (about 4 MPG better in overall driving in my experience). The new one is safer in a crash as well. 7 seats are standard as well, which I don't have in mine. I thought my car was quiet and smooth when I first got it, but this one is even smoother and quieter as well. Overall the newer one is much more refined.

On the other hand, mine is much easier to see out of. It has a better turning radius, a better engine sound (not a big deal), more torque, and it can tow more. I also like the fact that it's not so dang wide. I like the seating position more in mine, and it's easier to tell where the the corners of the car are. I also find the 4th gens to be better looking, but that's just my opinion. Mine is easier to get in and out of, as it doesn't have the lips above the floor that you have to get over. This makes it kind of hard to get in the new one when you can't open the doors completely.

I'd rather have mine if I were to choose, but both are great cars. I don't think you can go very wrong with either, but whichever one makes you happier, get that one.

And thanks for that chart, Joe! That's a GREAT chart that illustrates the differences well! In light of the input, I'm definitely leaning more towards the 2011.

Cory- I'd be happy to PM my mailing address for the conquest sales commission... :D

J/K!

phreaky d- word of advice- since I ran across the issue- when you test drive one, do yourself a favor and try to pull it into your garage if you will be using one. Seriously- it's a big, wide vehicle. It's maybe not as large as it might seem, but it was huge in my garage. The width was the issue... It would have had issues with doors and stuff in my garage the way it was set up.

Hi, Cory...thanks for the warm welcome, I sure appreciate it! And thanks for the great feedback, sdm...I was definitely looking for that type of input. Your experience and advice is excellent, I really appreciate it...
You’re very welcome, phreaky_d; you’ll find that the community here is one of the best around! :)

Cory- I'd be happy to PM my mailing address for the conquest sales commission... :D

J/K!...
Thanks, Joe; I needed a good Monday morning laugh. ;)

Cory

Good point, Joe...that actually was one of my concerns since my garage is rather small. If I go with the '11, I'll definitely have to clear out some space! Again, I appreciate the advice. Thanks to everyone!

Back