• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Moonroof Leak

Explvr

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
I purchased my 2011 Explorer under a certified pre-owned plan one year ago. Recently the sunroof started leaking and became quite a problem. When I took it in to the dealer they could not open the sunroof and had to drop the headliner to find the problem. After investigation by the dealer, I was told the seal on the glass had dry rotted and the leaking burned out the sunroof motor. I want to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. I find it hard to believe the seal dry rotted after only 4 years. :scratch:

I purchased my 2011 Explorer under a certified pre-owned plan one year ago. Recently the sunroof started leaking and became quite a problem. When I took it in to the dealer they could not open the sunroof and had to drop the headliner to find the problem. After investigation by the dealer, I was told the seal on the glass had dry rotted and the leaking burned out the sunroof motor. I want to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. I find it hard to believe the seal dry rotted after only 4 years. :scratch:
I had the same problem out of nowhere. The passenger side was full of water. Luckily I had the weather tech liners and it trapped all the water. Brought the vehicle to ford and they replaced the gasket. Since replaced, no problem.

I also had a leak on my 2011. It was on the dual sunroof part so it leaked onto my back seat. Got it sealed up and all is good now.

Back