2011 explorer rattle on startup only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 explorer rattle on startup only

Brilevine

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer limited 4wd
I also have a sporadic rattle on startup that is hard to replicate, although it happens at least once a day. Sometimes after a cold morning, sometimes after the third or fourth startup of the day. It's loud and is certainly not normal, I have had people riding with me ask what it is. Once it happens everything is fine and it only lasts for 1-2 seconds. I have been able to capture it on video but the dealer claims they cannot replicate. Thought it might be a heat shield or something physical, but I am at a loss! Vehicle only has 33k mikes!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the way you describe it, it does sound like a heat shield. I have had this occur on a few vehicles I have owned. Have them put it on the lift and check everything underneath.

From the way you describe it, it does sound like a heat shield. I have had this occur on a few vehicles I have owned. Have them put it on the lift and check everything underneath.

Thank you, I have had it at the dealer twice, but I may crawl underneath and have a look myself and see if I can't find something....

I also have a sporadic rattle on startup that is hard to replicate, although it happens at least once a day. Sometimes after a cold morning, sometimes after the third or fourth startup of the day. It's loud and is certainly not normal, I have had people riding with me ask what it is. Once it happens everything is fine and it only lasts for 1-2 seconds. I have been able to capture it on video but the dealer claims they cannot replicate. Thought it might be a heat shield or something physical, but I am at a loss! Vehicle only has 33k mikes!

Although my issue was on an Audi w/ 140K on it, what you are describing sounds exactly like the issue I had. I would start the car and there would be a brief rattle. Exact same sporadic timing as well but after a month of this, the rattle became prolonged and on pretty much every start up. The shop couldn't figure it out until then.

In my case, it was the exhaust pipe. It had cracked and the crack was getting bigger until it was detectable by the Audi mechanic.

X

Hi Brilevine,

I reached out to another thread you posted on, but I wanted to make sure I touched base with you here, too. Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

It would be very helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so it always shows in the margin and we can tell which one you have.
Do you have the tow package? If so, there is a cover underneath that is used to direct air for cooling. There have been several reports of that coming lose or even falling off.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I will update the profile. I do not believe I have the tow package, there is no factory hitch installed.

Hi Everyone,

While driving yesterday I got a check engine light, so I pulled into the nearest autozone to get the code. it was a P0017 which I believe has to do with the crank sensor being aligned with the cam sensor. the car didn't run any differently and the light went off this morning (came on again for an hour, but is now off). I wonder if the sound is related - it definitely comes from the engine, but its still sporadic

Here is what I found on it.

Trouble Code:
System:
Subsystem:
P0017 - (ASE)
Powertrain, Fuel & Air metering, Auxiliary emission controls

DTC Description: Crankshaft Position (CKP) Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation (Bank 1 - Sensor B)

Likely Cause:
Bank 1 - Sensor B, Crankshaft to Camshaft Rotational Position Out of Sync
The crankshaft sensor is part of the primary ignition system and functions as the "trigger". It detects the position of the crankshaft relays that information on to the PCM or the ignition module (depending on the vehicle) to control spark timing. The Camshaft position sensor detects the position of the camshafts and relays the information to the PCM. The PCM uses the CMP signal to identify the beginning of the injector sequence. What ties these two shafts and their sensors together is the timing belt or chain. The cam and crank should be precisely timed together.

If the PCM detects that the crank and cam signals are out of time by a specific number of degrees, this DTC will set. Bank 1 is the side of the engine that contains cylinder #1 , the "B" sensor is most likely the exhaust camshaft side.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0017

Peter

Thanks Peter, I suspect the rattling has to be associated with this....

Back