2011 Explorer struts & shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer struts & shocks

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
Hi all. Been years since I have been back. Have a 2011 that we bought back in 2014. Nice vehicle. Have about 127k on it. It's starting to show a bit of age, and want to refresh the suspension when it gets warmer. I have new Motorcraft sway bar links in their packaging, and plan to put new struts and shocks. Lower control arms might be getting tired, but it holds an alignment.
I plan to replace the mounts with Motorcraft, and have tried to research about the struts and shocks. From what I have observed, can't go wrong with Motorcraft. I will stay away from Monroe quickstruts (noisy, iffy reviews), seen more good, but still mixed comments in KYB (get rough as they age), and Bilstein are pricey. Don't know enough about Monroe Oespectrum and Gabriel ultras.....

Will pull them out and have a shop take care of the springs being mounted in the strut. I will handle the rest, as springs are to be respected.

Thoughts? Comments? Plan to keep for 2 to 3 more years, might increase milage to about 20k or so a year, from current 10k. I don't want to do this again.

Thank you for any feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good plan
I Installed a set of Monroe quick struts on my old Malibu. They blew all the oil out at 60k and even when new I could not tell a difference from the oem struts I pulled off at 120k. Never again.

Unless Your after higher performance I would stay with motorcraft. I think they have proven value.

Back