2011 Explorer transmission fluid change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer transmission fluid change

hpad06

Reaction score
City, State
Vaughan, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Base FWD
I am at dealer today for oil change, and I was told I need to change transmission fluid as my explorer is over 57k KM. they told me I should change every 50k KM or it might affect my extended warranty.

Should I change transmission fluid now, would it affect my warranty ?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

50k - way early (if driving normally, no towing)

Manual for mine states change auto trans fluid at 150k miles.

Check your manual, index in back-my maint chart was under
"Scheduled Maintenance Guide"

i would think if ex warranties had conditions on miles & maint it would be generally known and openly discussed.

Sounds like that shop is off to a great summer...

I am at dealer today for oil change, and I was told I need to change transmission fluid as my explorer is over 57k KM. they told me I should change every 50k KM or it might affect my extended warranty.

Thanks
Your 2011 Owner's Guide says to change the transmission fluid every 240k kms. Looks like you have a few years to go.

Peter

I'd be reporting that one to the Ford regional rep. What a ripoff.

Thanks

I certainly hope you didn't fall for that one!

thats the way the rip us off

Thanks guys, I told them need time think about it

On Tuesday, my local dealer tried to sell me a 60k mile service that included a transmission service. I didn't do it either because I vaguely remembered that the transmission service interval was much longer than my previous vehicles.

Unfortunately, that wasn't all he tried. He also wanted to charge $475.00 to replace my broken fog light. This may be my first post here, but I have been lurking as a visitor for some time. So, I knew that was a ripoff when others had reported theirs cost <$200.

Needless to say, I won't be going back to that dealer again. Good thing Houston has several.

Welcome to the Forum Cyclechem.:wavey:
An 'informed' customer can be the worst nightmare for such a dealer.:thumbsup:

Peter

I've heard the reps on the phone with some people pitching huge repair costs, for something I would have laughed at, and I want to scream at the phone "NO! DON'T DO IT"...I don't know how these people can sleep at night..

Unfortunately, that wasn't all he tried. He also wanted to charge $475.00 to replace my broken fog light. This may be my first post here, but I have been lurking as a visitor for some time. So, I knew that was a ripoff when others had reported theirs cost <$200.

Needless to say, I won't be going back to that dealer again. Good thing Houston has several.

These were less than $200 and they are plug & play

1111.jpg

11111111.jpg

2222.jpg

If your Ex is a long term hold, I'd personally change the ATF at about 80-90k if you are doing a flush.

IMO, flushes can sometimes do more harm than good on older transmissions, so I like a flush with better certainty of transmission health.

If I were to change the ATF at the Ford recommended 150k , I'd do the drain and refill method. After three times of draining and refilling over a three week period you will have 85% or so new ATF and should be good to go.

If your Ex is a long term hold, I'd personally change the ATF at about 80-90k if you are doing a flush.

IMO, flushes can sometimes do more harm than good on older transmissions, so I like a flush with better certainty of transmission health.

If I were to change the ATF at the Ford recommended 150k , I'd do the drain and refill method. After three times of draining and refilling over a three week period you will have 85% or so new ATF and should be good to go.

I recommend doing a BG flush before 75k miles. The reason for this is that you would be eligible for the BG warranty for the following 30k miles, & for the life of the vehicle if done every 30k miles thereafter. I know that the owner manual recommends a much longer interval, but I'm doubtful as to the longevity of a transmission that gets serviced at such long intervals. The BG "dialysis" flush will replace almost 100% of the transmission fluid. You may want to check out this link:

http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/transmission.htm

I recommend doing a BG flush before 75k miles.

Had the BG transmission service performed today at 62K miles. Performed this on every car every 60K up to 180K on a Subaru with no adverse results.

Old fluid was pretty dirty compared to new fluid. New fluid in was Castrol Transmax Synthetic which is Mercon LV approved by Ford. We do not tow, or haul heavy loads. Mixed city / hwy driving.

Make sure the technician knows to have someone set the parking brake, hold pressure on the foot brake, put transmission in 'R', and run engine at 1500 RPMs during the entire service process. You must do this to keep the transmission temps up so that the internal thermostat in the transmission stays open to maintain pressure. Otherwise, it will close and the process won't work.

Getting ready to power bleed brakes, and perform PTU and Diff service at home. Same routine...every 60K.

Getting ready to power bleed brakes, and perform PTU and Diff service at home. Same routine...every 60K.

Be interested to know how you do with the PTU service...

Back