2011 Explorer with problems. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer with problems.

Children Children Children, Play Nice or You Will Need To Go Home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

M1911A1,I think you need to back off our service representatives and go play with your 1911.Seni,Cory and the rest of the team have helped many on this forum.You don't see what they do when you PM them for help.They are sincere in their efforts and I,for one,am very thankful for the help.
I don't care if they call themselves M14,AR15 or SP101,they are here to help the new Explorer owners ( 2011 + )and they do a fantastic job.
Thank you so much for the support GTMD & chimoman, it really means a lot to me!

I don't doubt the abilities of the Ford cust. serv. reps. to help with the many issues involved here. As I posted in my initial comments, the critique had to do with the continual use of cliches, too much empathy and sensitivity for a car company, that IMHO should be technical and objective. For what I have been able to perceived, in the last replies that Cory has posted, he has gotten the message. Great... As for you fellow Explorer Enthusiast, if it makes you "feel" better: "I can understand your feelings etc."....LOL........
I do understand what you’re saying and I didn’t mean to sound cliché.

Cory and in the past- Seni- are all very helpful as are the members of the IVT like Rebecca. No need to come down in them at all.

I do however want to say, Cory- is Ford making you put the "make sure you communicate their frustrations" line into the reply? It does sound a smidge help-linish... :)
No, they don’t make me Joe Dirt, but sometimes that’s the only way to ask for the info I need to help with an issue. I try to put myself in the shoes of who I’m reaching out to. Also, thanks again for the kind words! :)

Cory

From what I have seen it looks like Cory and team do help a lot of people and those that have been helped are very appreciative.

If we could please get back to the subject of this thread for a moment….

It is not looking good for the transmission. The Ford hot line (direct line for the service guys) told the dealer it was electrical and that a solenoid needed to be replaced. I said if it was just a solenoid I’ll go along with the program. The dealer called later to say they don’t just replace the solenoid anymore and that the body (not valve body yet) needed to be replaced that contained the solenoid. They shipped the part, installed it and it did not fix the problem – that was Friday.

More diagnostics on Monday/Tuesday – now the Ford hot line thinks the valve body needs to be replaced. The part is shipping either last night or today and will be installed today or tomorrow.

The bottom line is this is a new transmission design and neither the Ford hot line or the Dealers have seen one of these before (or had any training on them) and my $40K truck is being used as a training room and I am not happy.

I contacted Ford Customer Assistance answered all their questions and they said someone will be contacting me in 2 business days. Didn’t get any reference number, case number, etc. so not sure if I will really be contacted or not.

Ordered the truck from the factory, waited 8 weeks for delivery, had it 16 days before it broke, and it has now been in the shop for 9 days and counting.

From what I have seen it looks like Cory and team do help a lot of people and those that have been helped are very appreciative.

If we could please get back to the subject of this thread for a moment….

It is not looking good for the transmission. The Ford hot line (direct line for the service guys) told the dealer it was electrical and that a solenoid needed to be replaced. I said if it was just a solenoid I’ll go along with the program. The dealer called later to say they don’t just replace the solenoid anymore and that the body (not valve body yet) needed to be replaced that contained the solenoid. They shipped the part, installed it and it did not fix the problem – that was Friday.

More diagnostics on Monday/Tuesday – now the Ford hot line thinks the valve body needs to be replaced. The part is shipping either last night or today and will be installed today or tomorrow.

The bottom line is this is a new transmission design and neither the Ford hot line or the Dealers have seen one of these before (or had any training on them) and my $40K truck is being used as a training room and I am not happy.

I contacted Ford Customer Assistance answered all their questions and they said someone will be contacting me in 2 business days. Didn’t get any reference number, case number, etc. so not sure if I will really be contacted or not.

Ordered the truck from the factory, waited 8 weeks for delivery, had it 16 days before it broke, and it has now been in the shop for 9 days and counting.
Thank you for saying that jwieriii; I really appreciate it. I’ll make sure that you’ll be called if you’d like to private message me with your contact info, VIN, dealer, and mileage.

Cory

It seems like every time I go to the 2011 Stock discussion, I see several threads like these where everything is disintegrating and crumbling at the seams. It almost makes me wonder if some of these aren't a little "exaggerated." With CNC, CAD/CAM, new cars should be far more predictable and homogenous in construction quality. Whenever I go to the new escape forum, people are stating very similar things, yet my wife and I haven't had a single problem with our '11 and it already has 5K. Almost makes me wonder if these complaints are from competitors at times. I'm sure there are those who have problems, but there have been a fair amount where big issues are coming up such as tranny issues, loss of steering, an alien crawling our of vents... and so on. I mean....velcro??? Really??? :rolleyes:

My 11 has 10,000 miles already and I can assure you the problems are real. My wife works for ford. Didnt have trans problems until about 6k. We love the explorer just need to get it fixed right. The trans slams around 35mph. It has only happened about 6 times but it's happening. I can't make it do it but it does do it.

Walk into any dealer and talk to the techs you will not believe the stories they will tell you, this is from any car company. Problems have always been around we just get to all hear about them now.

Gcdmd, i heard the same that there are some non explorer owners in this forum to kill the explorer by complaining and they are from honda,toyota, chrysler, etc.... So reader beware of these apostate's lol read in between the lines !!!!!

Gcdmd, i heard the same that there are some non explorer owners in this forum to kill the explorer by complaining and they are from honda,toyota, chrysler, etc.... So reader beware of these apostate's lol read in between the lines !!!!!

OK and I'd bet dollars to donutz that there are some Ford "fans" on their forums too! ;)

OK and I'd bet dollars to donutz that there are some Ford "fans" on their forums too! ;)

Don't doubt it either....now where are those donuts!!?!?!?! :p:
I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist or an over paranoid guy, I'm sure most of the people that come on this forum with complaints are in need of help in resolving their problems. Cory has done a great job in confronting those concerns and has demonstrated that Ford is following up on a great product. It just seems like I have seen so many complaints on matters that just don't add up. With online forums such as these, it is exceptionally easy to just sign on and throw a ton of BS without ill-effect.

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist or an over paranoid guy, I'm sure most of the people that come on this forum with complaints are in need of help in resolving their problems. Cory has done a great job in confronting those concerns and has demonstrated that Ford is following up on a great product. It just seems like I have seen so many complaints on matters that just don't add up. With online forums such as these, it is exceptionally easy to just sign on and throw a ton of BS without ill-effect.

Wouldn't doubt other companies using social media to slander others products including Ford.

Fact is I came really close to not buying at all just a few weeks ago due in some part to my worry about the system issues.

Ford has sold well more than 125,000 2011 explorers so far, matter of fact I believe that number is closer to 150,000 currently. I've read every complaint on this forum and FB starting from the first deliveries back in Jan. If I added all of them up it's less than 500 people. I'm sure not everyone with a Explorer knows to post on FB or here if they had problems. Don't you think if there were that many people complaining about the truck the magazines or news would pick up on it? Oh wait, JD power did....:rolleyes:

Anyway, the way I see things is the percentage for issues is very low and unfortunately it's to be expected with a new product. It doesn't matter how long the engineers plan or go over things in the lab before release issues will come up in the "real" world. I have real world experience with this working on the Super Hornet when it first came out.

I have had my Ford Ex 2011 since May have over 7000 k/m on it, been on three road trips one was with my golfing buddies, one was a 600 k/m trip, the last which was out of this world 1800 k/m trip on one of the most treacherous roads in Canada HWY 138 from Montreal to Sept-Iles. It's an 11 hour trip (one way) non-stop at 110 k/mph. We haven't had a glitch or anything happen with the car since we've had it, looking at all the problem's the car is having after reading this forum. I'm thinking god I must be the one with a LEMON. We love our Ex and hope everybody problems get resolved quick.

Thank you for the great compliments, GCDMD! So are we serious about getting donuts? :) I would put the foil hats away and just enjoy the forums for what they truly are: an awesome community! :D

I have had my Ford Ex 2011 since May have over 7000 k/m on it, been on three road trips one was with my golfing buddies, one was a 600 k/m trip, the last which was out of this world 1800 k/m trip on one of the most treacherous roads in Canada HWY 138 from Montreal to Sept-Iles. It's an 11 hour trip (one way) non-stop at 110 k/mph. We haven't had a glitch or anything happen with the car since we've had it, looking at all the problem's the car is having after reading this forum. I'm thinking god I must be the one with a LEMON. We love our Ex and hope everybody problems get resolved quick.
lookgoodn43, glad to hear your Explorer is doing great. Those trips you’ve had sound amazing! I hope you can get some more in soon! :D

Cory

An update to my transmission repair –

They replaced the valve body last week hoping that would fix the way higher than normal pressure readings inside the transmission but it did not fix the problem. Starting Monday they pulled the transmission out of my truck and torn it down to look for something that could be wrong inside – a crack, a leak, something. They found nothing and they said they have been authorized to get a new replacement transmission. The dealer also said that the new replacement was supposed to be a “newer model” of the transmission and that there was some kind of note/bulletin associated with the model I have which is why a newer version was being made available. They are hoping to receive the new transmission this week so with any luck maybe I will get the truck back the end of this week or beginning of next week.

Ordered the truck from the factory, waited 8 weeks for delivery, had it 16 days before it broke, and as of tomorrow it will have been in the shop for 16 days and counting but making progress.

There is one bright positive note –

THANK YOU CORY!! for following up with the call I made to Ford Customer Assistance last week. I did finally get a call from a representative on Monday. I’m sure your assistance had a lot to do with the return call.

...There is one bright positive note –

THANK YOU CORY!! for following up with the call I made to Ford Customer Assistance last week. I did finally get a call from a representative on Monday. I’m sure your assistance had a lot to do with the return call.
You’re very welcome. Please don’t hesitate to let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help in the future.

Cory

An update to my transmission repair –

They replaced the valve body last week hoping that would fix the way higher than normal pressure readings inside the transmission but it did not fix the problem. Starting Monday they pulled the transmission out of my truck and torn it down to look for something that could be wrong inside – a crack, a leak, something. They found nothing and they said they have been authorized to get a new replacement transmission. The dealer also said that the new replacement was supposed to be a “newer model” of the transmission and that there was some kind of note/bulletin associated with the model I have which is why a newer version was being made available. They are hoping to receive the new transmission this week so with any luck maybe I will get the truck back the end of this week or beginning of next week.

Ordered the truck from the factory, waited 8 weeks for delivery, had it 16 days before it broke, and as of tomorrow it will have been in the shop for 16 days and counting but making progress.

There is one bright positive note –

One more update to my transmission repair –
I got my truck back Friday morning. They have listed that they replace the core which I assume is a "new" transmission. Had to laugh a little because I had forgotten where everything was on the dash since they had it in the shop for 26 days.

The bad news is on my way out this morning, the transmission did exactly the same thing it did in the very beginning. Going down a hill at about 50 MPH, the transmission down shifted on its own and revved the motor to 3,000+ RPM. Come to find out it had down shifted 2 gears and not just one according to the TAC when it up shifted twice (back into high gear) after I got to the bottom of the hill.

Stopped at the dealer to tell the Service manager who said they would call me on Monday and let me know what they were going to do.

Are you touching the brakes at all when going down this hill? My ex will downshift one gear if I touch the brakes, it will downshift again if I remain on the brakes or brake harder. It will stay in the lower gear until I either speed up again or come to a much lower speed. I believe this is the way it is supposed to be, instead of having to ride the brakes downhill it it uses the engine as braking automatically. Never had a truck do this as dramatically as this one but it is all in the programming. We drive back and forth to west virgina and the hills are long and big, took some time to figure out how this worked but works well. Remember this truck when coasting shuts off all fuel flow,locks up the torque converter and uses the momentum to keep the engine turning and saving fuel adding milage. This feature is really helpful when towing a trailer just like a Jake brake. Mine is also a very early build.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2011 4WD Limited I got back in April. The only challenges I have seen now with 6K miles on it was the My touch LCD Panel would not come up when I would turn off the car and return shortly after. It just would be blank & not boot up. As you all know how much that section of the Vehicle controls when it is down, you are out of luck on several fronts. I had to keep taking it into the shop to fix it. After several attempts to fix it and load any software updates, Ford finally authorized the replacement of the APIM module that controls the My Touch Screen. All has been well since this. Next issue has been the Engine Cooling Fan BA8Z-8C607-C was only working intermittently & once the dealer checked it out it was replaced 8-11-11. So far things are back to normal. After looking at this blog though I certainly am nervous & will have to be a little more cautious when driving this vehicle moving forward.

Back