• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2011 Explorer XLT side view mirror convex inserts unsafe at night! Options?

steelkilt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT and 2002 XLT
All,

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. 20k miles on it, love the vehicle overall (after we took care of the cooling fan issue ;-)

However, we can no longer ignore the fact that the side view mirrors with convex insert are really unsafe at night. We get massive reflections in the mini convex insert from oncoming traffic causing the driver to misjudge what he/she is actually seeing in the main mirror.

Are others experiencing this problem? I'm going to raise the driver's seat higher to try and help with poor visibility overall (day and night) but I wondered if anyone has suggestions re: how to improve things at night? The convex inserts are very helpful during the day as they take care of the blind spot issue. At night they create a real danger.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

bluelion

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 EX Limited
I have those mirrors also but don't have issues at night...maybe you can try to find blue antiglare tint film...similar to the mirrors that have auto dimming

Razziel24

Reaction score
City, State
Guayaquil
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5 V6 Base
I think theyre great, never had any problems with them
Maybe you can tint them a little.

dco43054

Reaction score
City, State
cmh
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 XLT
Unsafe at night? Not for me. Work just fine.

jcerrion

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
i agree. I also have zero issues with reflecting.